Author Topic: speedo  (Read 3839 times)

rc3064

speedo
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:37:10 »
the speedo reads the correct mph just fine, but recently the odometer and tripometer don't work today but then work tomorrow. Any thoughts?

speedometer
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 19:50:24 by 280SL71 »

al_lieffring

Re: speedo
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:55:41 »
This is a very common problem. A pot metal drive wheel on the odometer shaft works loose and slips preventing the mileage from advancing.

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:26:48 »
I have the same problem--speedometer works fine. Odometer doesn't. So, is it an easy fix, can it be done at home by a non-expert?
My clock doesnt work either. Is a quartz conversion possible? Who does them?

hauser

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:35:24 »
The clock would be converted to quartz using one for a Porsche but will retain the original look.  They can also answer any concerns about your speedometer.

http://www.paspeedo.com/mercedes.htm

menesesjesse

• Silver
  • USA, MD, Indian Head
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 17:05:12 »
Not long ago I went through a speedo.  The odometer drives the trip meter so it is most likely an issue is on the odometer side of the house.  What I noticed was that the plastic gears on the shaft were worn to the point that it no longer turned the odometer numbers. The repair is not difficult but obtaining the gears is.  I had Pal Alto sell me a gear but they did so reluctantly.  The speedo works well now.  Taking apart the speedo must be done carefully. The chrome bezel is easy to ruin. Additionally the needle should be protected. It is very easy to bend them. My suggestion is to take pictures. If you are good a small detail work I would give it a try. If you have the money and are afraid of breaking things because you have heavy hands I would think the cheaper route is to have it rebuilt. They come back like new and are calibrated.
Jesse
1966 Mercedes 230 SL auto
2003 Mercedes E500
1992 Ford F150
1994 Ford Bronco
2019 Shelby GT350R
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7