Author Topic: Repaint as original or change colors??  (Read 7313 times)

KW-BYBEE

• Junior Level
  • USA, AZ, Phoenix
  • On her way to her new home!!
Repaint as original or change colors??
« on: September 05, 2011, 15:59:12 »
My 67 250  5 speed has finally been restored and is ready for paint.  The original color is 571 red with a black 040 hard top, black soft top and cognac interior.  I am not a big fan of this color combination and am thinking about changing it.  Does anyone have an opinion as to whether I should keep the car true to the data plate or does it matter?  Is the car worth more if kept original?  Any feedback would be appreciated.....
Kyle Bybee
Kent Island, MD
1967 250SL, 5 speed
Body Color: 571 Top: 040

knockmacool

Re: Repaint as original or change colors??
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 16:21:56 »
If you don't like the combo and you are going to keep the car, change it. Unless it's an exceptionally preserved or low mileage car or has some interesting history, there is no reason you shouldn't enjoy the car you want. My 2cents... What color(s) are you thinking of?

Drew

KW-BYBEE

• Junior Level
  • USA, AZ, Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 16:27:15 »
I am thinking all black with ivory interior. 
Kyle Bybee
Kent Island, MD
1967 250SL, 5 speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 16:38:08 »
Very nice combination.
Take a look at the photos from a member who did just that and won trophies for the end result:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=5810.msg35935#msg35935

But make sure you select a very good paint shop, black is a difficult paint and flaws are easy to see.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 20:43:11 »
It really doesn't seem to effect value much. It could be argued that the right color might increase value for example silver is the Mercedes racing color and is very popular in Europe so painting a green car(no offence to green lovers) silver might actually increase value.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 22:59:02 »
Shvegal, wash your mouth out :o  Why be common and paint it silver, it may just decrease its value because its common, so just get something that highlights the car that you like.  Dark colours do that.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 23:07:32 »
Color is your choice.  Worry more about the value to you as you enjoy it than the value it might not add to the car. 

I've had black cars and white cars, maroon, blue, and green.  The dark colors are the hardest to keep clean, the easiest to see damage on, and the best for showing any flaws in the body work.  If the constant polishing and cleaning, and noticing every little defect doesn't bother you, go dark.  It shows off the chrome really well. 8)
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

W113SL

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 00:41:15 »
Final exterior color, should it be changed is the personal choice of the owner.  Personally I like the 571 brilliant red metallic, but with a parchment colored interior with a grey interior.

If you are concerned about ultimate resale, then a prudent choice may be to leave it alone, or paint it a popular color such as resale Signal Red.
In the MBCA concours rules, a color change is worth only 1/4 point out of 100 points.

Pete Lesler

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 02:37:02 »
Garry,
For the record my car is 350 medium blue. I toyed with painting it silver but have decided to paint it blue again.

Jim Donati

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 03:16:08 »
Great question, this will surely entice considerable lively discussions.  

I personally feel that keeping the car unmolested and true to how it came off the factory floor is the only way to go.  So If your car is in original condition in every aspect I would seriously consider keeping it that way.  If not, then you have nothing to loose if you choose to change the color.  
I have an unmolested '70 280SL (other than a repaint of original color) and am so appreciative that prior owners did not do anything that diminished it's originality.  To me that is part of it's charm.  My personal opinion.    ;D

Jim

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 05:44:54 »
Shvegel,

I seriously thought about changing my car colour to one of the blues, which I really like but ended up sticking with the original colour. I like it but it is really hard to keep clean as I live off a small dirt lane and shows every imperfection being a dark colour as Ray said.

Hence my now seeking a second Pagoda Auto in RHD in any non metallic blue........  For the Finance Director of course :o
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 22:49:41 »
In general, light colors suit smaller cars better, and dark colors suit bigger cars better.

On the other hand, cognac and ivory interiors are usually best combined with dark colors, especially dark blue and dark green. An exception is light ivory with cognac interior which is a very nice and subtle combination.

As said before, dark colors require a very high quality prep and work, and are more dificult to keep clean.

My 280SL has a cognac interior an is non metal tobacco brown, with brown hard ans soft tops. I like it, though I believe tobacco brown suits a W108 or 109 better. Also, I do not have nor plan to fit A/C and this color is a torture in summer. I'm consirering painting it ivory when time comes.

KW-BYBEE

• Junior Level
  • USA, AZ, Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 14:35:49 »
Many thanks to everyone who responded.  I appreciate the feedback.

Kyle
Kyle Bybee
Kent Island, MD
1967 250SL, 5 speed

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 12:14:35 »
I'm struggling with the same issue. During PUB, someone pointed out to me (being the newbie I am) that my original wheel and hardtop color were tobacco (486 I think?). After much thought, and even though the paint on the wheels and hardtop are fine, I am going to restore it back to the original. Thanks to some time photoshop, The 181 Beige body with the tobacco brown wheels and hardtop looked pretty sharp to me. Unusual anyway. As other have said, I think it comes down to personal preference. I do recommend trying to use photoshop or a like tool. Helped me through the decision.
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 13:03:13 »
The only things I would recommend (in my opinion, folks...) are the following:

If you are changing colors:

change to a valid MB color of the era.  Not hard to find, and if you can't find a an acceptable color in the MB palette...
do a complete job--dash, and all other parts that were originally colored.  Don't just respray the exterior.

Nothing says "incomplete" of "not knowing what they are doing" than a white dash with blue car, or a color from a Pontiac.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Oisin

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 22:50:32 »
My red with black top 230sl used to be burgundy (before I came across it) and I sort of wish it still was.  Each colour brings out a different characteristic in the car.  The red/black combo has a certain boy-racer swagger while something like midnight blue is sophisticated and tasteful.  Not sure what burgundy says - gout ridden old bon viveur?  In a way I like the two tone as it accentuates the sassy lines - makes me wonder if chantilly lace is a colour?