Author Topic: Another New Guy Question About a 250SL Find-- Updated  (Read 5297 times)

t4halo

Another New Guy Question About a 250SL Find-- Updated
« on: September 02, 2011, 21:47:51 »
I return to Michigan in a week.  Before flying to Wyoming a month ago for work, I stumbled across a 250SL covered in a garage.  The car was sitting on blocks.  The hard top was sitting on the owners work bench.  The fellow who owns it said it had been his brothers and had sustained some front end damage in the past.  He also stated the car had come from out west.  I did not lift the cover to see the car and generally acted uninterested.  

I had been looking for a Porsche 356 but had no luck.  This car has sparked a new interest.  My question is, how little is a parts car worth?  If it is not worth putting money into I at least want to gain my money back.  I am hoping for the best and know I could be opening quite a can of worms.  

I am a pretty cheap SOB and won't spend a lot on this car.  What should $3K or maybe $5K buy?  It would be nice to get her running, if it looks OK, and take the wife out for ice cream someday.  If it's nicer than I can afford I'll post some pictures and the address.

I am not affraid to turn a wrench.  I have recently restored a 69 Moto Guzzi and have worked on numerous other bikes and vehicles.  I'm no expert but enjoy working on older stuff.  What else should a retired Army guy do with his time.

Thanks, Tony      
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 23:41:52 by t4halo »

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Another new guy question.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 22:38:05 »
I have seen parts cars as low as $4000 up to $12000 on ebay.  It really depends on what is left on the car and the condition.  Some people have restored what I would consider a parts car.  You can fix about anything with enough money.  If you do get some pictures post them here.  We always like to see a new find.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL (Sold)
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

MichaelB.

Re: Another New Guy Question About a 250SL Find
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 20:00:10 »
I sold a SPENT '69 280SL on eBay for what I thought to be astronomical money ($6800).

No floor boards, trunk floor gone, quarters rusty, fenders rusty, rockers rusty, engine was there but had not run for decades, manual trans had neutral at least so I could roll it on a trailer. Car was dark red with shards of tan interior bits. It was an original A/C car and came with a hardtop though. Plus I had the title.

Nevertheless you can use that as an example.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 15:56:54 »
If you are not looking to spend money I would reccomend not buying a 63-71 SL. The front end damage you referred to could get expensive quickly.

Grille complete new $3500 clean used $1600
Fender(welded on) $1200
front panel(welded on) $1300 with inner structure
Headlight with bezel $600
Hood used$1200

t4halo

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 20:55:32 »
I haven't looked under the cover but I believe the front end has been repaired.  I'll have to check on how well the work was done.  I should have an opportunity to look at the car again next week.

Tony

t4halo

Re: Another New Guy Question About a 250SL Find (update)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 23:40:44 »
I spent an hour with the car owner today.  It is an Euro model with a title.  The odometer is in Kilo's.  The repaint wasn't very good and the gaps could use some work.  The floorboards have been worked on.  It is a 4 speed car white with brown interior.  The owner says he had it running last year and could get it started with a little work.  The seats (pretty wore) were out and the stearing wheel layed in the floor.  He had been looking for a wiring issue when he gave up.  The blinkers and 4 way flasher were giving him fits.  The chrome was all there and could use quite a bit of polishing.  He has a few extra parts like headlights and other things.

The drivers side front fender didn't appear to have the factory welds but the hood opened and closed fine.  The car lacks the fire wall padding. The chrome behind the rear wells is present and the hard top didn't look to bad.  He said that 12 years ago the black soft top was fine (we didn't remove the hard top).  There was a nice set of hubcaps in the trunk.

This MB will never be a show car but might make a decent driver.

He's at $8k but willing to negotiate and I'm at $5k.  I had to leave for an appointment and told him to give me a call.  I'll stop back by next week and take some pictures.  These things take time.

Am I in the ballpark?

Thanks-Tony 

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Another New Guy Question About a 250SL Find-- Updated
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 00:13:13 »
Without seeing the car the price could be ok from what you have said.  You will need to spend some money to get it in running condition but the up front cost does not sound unresonable compaired to the rust buckets on ebay.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL (Sold)
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic