Author Topic: Gull wing Pagoda  (Read 3972 times)

catjim813

Gull wing Pagoda
« on: November 05, 2011, 21:21:50 »
I am new to the group and I wondering what are the thoughts on the GULL Wing of America updated Pagoda?  Will it be built?  Also can the body kits be bought now.

Cat Jm  69 280sl

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Gull wing Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 17:53:57 »
I could be very wrong, but:

It is a grotesque perversion of a Pagoda.  There have been some similar DUB*-type "urban" accessorizations or customizations of our beloved car over the years, all kind of one-off Frankenstein monsters that appeal to a limited handful of people.

What is shown of the little bits of GWA Pagoda information out there from February of this year appear to be a computer generated design, and little more.

I don't think it will be built as a production car, but again--I could be wrong.  Maybe it will be some kind of kit car.  So, if you like it you can be the first in line to buy one.

*DUB= http://v2.dubmag.net/ Urban Hip-Hop Car Culture magazine, slang for 20" customized wheels. DUB, founded in January 2000, is a North American magazine covering urban custom car culture and also features celebrities and their vehicles. The magazine also launched the DUB Magazine Custom Auto Show & Concert, a nationwide car show and concert tour that spans 16 United States cities. DUB now has many licensed goods that include Jada Toys' DUB City die-cast and radio controlled vehicles, DUB Edition car accessories, and Rockstar Games' Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition video game. The term "DUB" is street slang for custom wheels 20" or larger in diameter and was popularized through hip hop music. DUB was founded by Myles Kovacs, Haythem Haddad, and Herman Flores, who continue to head the company located in Industry, California.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 18:09:18 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

catjim813

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 23:53:18 »
Your point is well taken,  My thoughts were along the lines of if Mercedes would do the same thing as Ford did with the Mustang and Chevy with the camaro..  I like you dont care for the after market products for  the pagoda cars that are on the market now, but within the automotive industry the sell of the aftermarkets parts often leads to the building or re-building of a dream.  As for me being the first to buy one HMMMM.   Lets just say If Mercedes builds it I think a lot of people will be in line.

Cat Jim

69 280sl

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 13:10:41 »
Well, Jim--I don't think Mercedes-Benz has an ounce of American-style "retro" blood in them.  They offer an extensive product line and cover all their bases...they do offer homage to the past, hence the gull wing style doors, and the grill on the newer SLR, etc.

The problem with a manufacturer offering anything as opposed to kit cars and aftermarket stuff is the astounding amount of crash testing, warranty testing, and so many other things we don't generally think about.  Makes it extremely expensive to offer some of the aftermarket stuff you see by a manufacturer.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid