Author Topic: Routing of Heater Distribution Cable  (Read 4705 times)

DavidBrough

Routing of Heater Distribution Cable
« on: October 24, 2011, 11:56:10 »
I'm refitting my heater leavers and have a problem with the routing of the top right distribution cable that controls the demist and cabin air flow and wonder if anyone has a photo of that area. It all seemed quite obvious when I took it apart 18 months ago but now distinctly not so and its one of the many things I didn't take a picture of.

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
Re: Routing of Heater Distribution Cable
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 00:04:04 »
very difficult in my opinion. Bud's Benz sells the new cable for this. They are not expensive. You should buy a new one , in case the old one is worn.  The cable connects to the heater air directional box, which needs to be removed if you want to replace the cable. Has a special very unique clip that makes the outer black vinyl part of the cable stay put, while the inside wire moves,  opening and shutting the vent to either blow air to the windshield or to the floorboard area. The upper part of the cable has a very unique and special clip also, that is connected to the lever mechanism for the same reason. The wire is threaded through a hole in the bolt. Over this bolt goes the washer and the nut. After the cable is secured with the special clip properly, it's time to put the nut and washer on the bolt.  I took the speaker cover off to get in there to do this. The windshield was removed also. I think I used a very small 8mm offset ratchet wrench to tighten the nut , after I spent an hour trying to get the nut on the bolt. A flexible magnet helps with all the mis-attempts, to pick up the loose nut and washer that falls off when trying to get it placed on the bolt----- My heater air box was actually warped and was bending and kinking my cable. I bought another  air box from dr Benz. and put on a new cable. It works like a new one now. It took years to find out why the clear lever would not work correctly.--whewww-This all brings back bad memories-   Dr Benz saved the day for me on this one. And yes, Dr Benz somehow found me one of those special retainer clips I was missing. Members should remember this guy. He always seem to find stuff in his old boxes of parts. His  value to me over the years have been immeasurable during the restoration of my 250sl
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:16:06 by rmmchl »
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 18:58:39 »
Thanks Michael, I think I've got the distribution box connection OK with the correct retaining clips, it's the lever end I'm not sure of.

I've taken a couple of photos showing the cable routing to the inside of the bulb holder which seems to be the only way the cable will go but the angle is very tight and it does seem to apply a lot of pressure to the bulb holder. There does seem to be an easier route round the outside but the cable doesn't seem long enough so I just wanted to check which way it should be, any ideas?

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 23:04:03 »
your cable routiing looks very familiar. I think that may be the only way it can go. As you can see, it is tough threading that cable into the hole in the bolt
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 23:05:56 »
I don't remember mine binding on the bulb housing though.
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 23:08:42 »
Dave, I don't see the special clip holding the cable to the groove in the lever housing. It must be there or the cable will pop out of that groove
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 23:37:14 by rmmchl »
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 23:13:23 »
Dave-It is a metal rectangular clip that is opened on one end. If you look at your picture, it will clamp right over the cable and hold it to the metal part of the assembly. It is missing in your picture. You must have it or the cable will pop out
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 23:38:30 by rmmchl »
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

DavidBrough

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:24:24 »
I have the clip but haven't put it on yet as I wanted to confirm the correct cable route. At this stage I'm just test fitting it all as I'm waiting for the chrome front pieces to be re plated. I'm certainly glad to be doing this job with the whole car apart as trying replace any of the cables in a fully built must be a complete nightmare.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 12:01:28 »
Hi, David,

Seems you've got the routing right.

Naj
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 21:01:02 by Naj »
68 280SL