Author Topic: stalk switch  (Read 3368 times)

angelo

stalk switch
« on: May 21, 2007, 14:01:36 »
almost done, down to the little chalenges: my stalk switch would not return bought a new one (nos on e-bay) and installed it this weekend and having a little problem.  All functions work good except for the signal left and right action causes the #5 fuse to short out and when I replace the new with the old it does not short out.  in looking at the switch physically it looks the same except for 2 additonal green wires that connect inside the lever switch and I don't want to put the old one back since it does not cancel out or hold in place please help.

jeffc280sl

Re: stalk switch
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 20:12:04 »
Can you tell us what car the stalk came from?  Suggest you get an ohm meter and make a matrix of stalk function and pin continuity.  Maybe with this info we can determine why fuse 5 is blowing.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

angelo

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 22:30:50 »
I apologize was not specific enough.  My car is a european 230sl s/n 1207 built in November of 1963. the stalk switch that I bought is also for a 230 since 230 and 280 switches are not interchangeable.  The old stalk switch has only 2 black wires that go through the lever to the wiper switch but the new has 2 black and 2 green I will chart them both old and new but maybe someone has an idea prior to me getting that done.  I bought the switch on e-bay and it was never used nos, the question I have were european 230 wired differently the us 230's.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 05:27:43 »
angelo,

the switch can be rebuilt and was discussed here http://index.php?topic=554
There are other links which will be of interest too.

I posted that info on the photo gallery section.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 17:00:44 »
Hi, Angelo,

The the 230SL Euro and US turn signal stalks and multifunction switches are the same.  There are other MB stalks that look like the Pagoda ones, but are not interchangeable; often eBay sellers either don't know the difference, or don't care (as Pagoda parts bring more money).  I recently sent an email to someone advertising a switch for the 230SL and told him that it was not correct; he replied that he was sure he was correct, and sold it as such.  

Did your new one come in an MB box with a 113 part number on it?  If what you have is not identical to your original, you should consider trying to return it as being incorrectly described (if possible), and consider overhauling your original.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

angelo

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 19:15:13 »
Hi david

I will look at it closer: it did not come in a mercedes bag but it was identified with the correct part number.  I am going to try to rebuilt the old one and also look at the new one closer. It has the right pins, the right color wires and is properly identified except for these additional 2 green wires.  Th funny thing is that the left side signal light seems much dimmer then the right side and then it blows fuse #5 but all other functions work fine.  I thought maybe for the us version 230's they may have been wired different especially after having red many articles on this site regarding european vs usa wiring as it applies to the lighting system: Fog lights, High beam flasher on Stalk switch used by european to signal a lane change, and other issues.  I appreciate all the help and any advise.  This is the best site the last four years it has been like a daily ritual

Skitzerow

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 19:49:11 »
Ran across this discussion.  My #5 fuse also shorts out when I use the turn signal.  Stop the idle coil from working also.  Where is the short coming from?

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to this problem?  I replace two fuses.  I have the old fuses and wondering if the 8 and 16 on these foreign fuses really stand for 8 and 16 amp ratings.  Just curious.  They look offly weak in terms of cross section of fuse metal to be 8 and 16 amp fuses.  I know the book says the fuse for # 5 is suppose to be 8 amps. I had a #16 fuse and it still blew.

SDK

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 21:08:45 »
Has anyone repaired the cancel function?
 Mine will not return on right turns.

Regards, Paul '63 230SL
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 21:11:48 by paults1 »