Author Topic: Power Steering HP Hose  (Read 4021 times)

dirtrack49

Power Steering HP Hose
« on: November 21, 2011, 01:11:37 »
Finally got back to the power steering hose replacement tonight.

Does anyone have a trick as to how to get the high pressure hose on both fittings?

I get it on the pump male fitting, and can't get it to line up to get it on the box female fitting. I have tried it both ways with one side tightened down and with it loose with no go.

Call me lame...but there must be a better way. I am afraid of messing up the threads.

Also, I got some 15mm return hose that seems to be an extremely tight fit. Have use ATF, and vasoline inside the hose ends with little movement over the flared fittings.

TIA
Tom L.
66 230SL

dirtrack49

Re: Power Steering HP Hose
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:41:35 »
I guess I didn't really make my problem very clear. ???

The high pressure steering hose I got was made by Cohline and is straight, with two aircraft fittings, one male, one female.

The problem I am having may be due to the fact that the hose is not preformed. It appears that it requires a considerable amount of twisting in order to line up the fittings properly. Therefore, making it very difficult to start the threaded fitting once the first one is in place.

My original hose that was no doubt on this car for the past 45 years, is much larger on the outside diameter than the new one. I am guessing that the new hose is of a different construction? Also, probably due to time, the old hose appears to have been preformed to fit.

Can this be possible, or have I been sniffing too many fumes out here in the garage?

TIA
Tom L
66 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 17:21:36 »
Hello Tom,

I guess we are wondering if the hose is the correct length in the first place?  Also are the end pipes bent at the correct angles?  In most cases the fitting on the pump is the most difficult to start, so it is done first, then the fitting on the box. Maybe you can post a pic of your replacement hose?

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

dirtrack49

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 01:15:55 »
Hi Joe,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I attached a picture of the old hose at the top and the new hose on the bottom.

The hose was ordered by MBZ part number from AutohausAZ for a 66 230SL.

I guess I need to find a way to give the hose a proper twist and attempt to thread it into the steering box?

The hose is just a little shorter than the original. The fittings are a little shorter also. However, it easily makes it to both the box and the pump. The problem is twisting the hose enough to get the fitting started.

Also, as you can see in the picture, the new hose outside diameter is smaller.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Tom L.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 20:42:54 »
Gee Tom.  Looks okay in the photo.  Have you considered soaking the hose, with both ends plugged or kept out of some near boiling water?  Maybe if it is warmer it will be more flexible. 

Curious; what did Autohaus charge? 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

dirtrack49

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 21:59:37 »
Hi Ray, 

Looks like that might be a good idea. The hose is difficult to work with since it needs to be twisted to line up the fittings.

Autohaus price was $90.00. Can be found for less and a lot more.

Tom L