Author Topic: Lead Additive  (Read 2800 times)

bgreene30

Lead Additive
« on: November 27, 2011, 21:10:26 »
Hi. Does anyone run a lead additive on cars that have not had hardened valve seats installed? On american cars of the 60's they were meant for leaded fuel. I assume the german ones as well. should i use a lead additive in the gas like I typically do so the seats don't wear?

Wolfmann

Re: Lead Additive
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 22:28:59 »
Hi,

I think this is covered elsewhere on the site (try a search) but my understanding is that the valve seats are very hard as standard and that no additive is required in W113 models. Don't rely on me though ! I am sure one of the technical types will reply soon...
Steven.

I just found this from a member called Ben Cosgrave  :-

"I cant answer about the dipstick but I thought the 280SL M130 engine was longer, so I dont see how the rocker cover could fit ??

Also it is reckoned that from the factory the valve seats were harder than whatever would be currently used to replace them so using unleaded was always possible from day one. You may need to retard the timing a touch to avoid pinging, try it first. My '64 showed no signs of valve seat reccesion when I rebuilt the head 2 year ago, and it had run unleaded for 10 years prior to that !"

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

bgreene30

Re: Lead Additive
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:53:06 »
Thank you so much.

Bob