Author Topic: Bleeding (venting) the power steering pump?  (Read 4027 times)

blairwag

Bleeding (venting) the power steering pump?
« on: May 31, 2004, 20:39:41 »
How?
My test drive this weekend did have one problem: power steering fluid bubbled, foamed, and overflowed from the reservoir, profusely, on the second day of driving. BBB suggests I'm getting air in the system. I need to locate the leak(s), fix, then refill and bleed. However, I can't find the "venting screw".

Where is it? What does it look like? Is it similar to a brake line bleader valve? Is the "Venting hose" that I'm to use anything more than a simple clear plastic tube?  What inner diameter (ID) should the tube be (so I can go buy some)?

Is there also a filter? I thought I read in a post, someone suggesting replacing the power steering fluid filter. Is that true? If so, where the heck is that?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 20:51:53 by blairwag »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Bleeding (venting) the power steering pump?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 23:01:39 »
The bleed nipple is on top of the steering box, sort of in the middle of it if I remember correctly. A parts book may have a drawing of it. It should be relatively easy to spot. I bled mine a few weeks ago and I believe it was an 11 mm nut. For the venting hose I used a piece of rubber hose that I had left over from replacing my fuel expansion tank lines, so it's "that" diamater (sorry!). If you check my post on the engine rebuild, you will see where I describe what I did, and Joe Alexander I believe commented later that bleeding the system is not really necessary as air will escape by itself.
There is a filter in the oil canister that sits on the left side of the engine, somewhat close to the distributor, with the winged nut. Only, you have to remove the slotted disk that is inside this container to see it. I replaced mine when I bled the system.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

blairwag

Re: Bleeding (venting) the power steering pump?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 07:15:46 »
Thanx, Cees. I'll look again, closer.

--
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic