Author Topic: MB Tex Seat Tear Repair?  (Read 7225 times)

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
MB Tex Seat Tear Repair?
« on: January 16, 2012, 20:42:18 »
I have a 2-3" tear in my drivers side seat for my 280sl.  Is there a DIY kit that can repair this?  Any recommendations?  Or does this require a pro to do it?

thanks

1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: MB Tex Seat Tear Repair?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 22:05:56 »
There are kits to do it, and having what looks like a black seat you are in luck in that it is an easy color to match.  Look online, I'm sure you will find some kits.

I've seen the results of the pros, and it is quite good, and not that costly--check local listings, call a local upholstery shop or independent repair facility.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 22:13:14 »
Yes, it's a black seat  ;D One thing in my favor.  I called one repair place and the starting price was $125.  Seems like a gouge to me.  Napa auto has a repair kit for $13.  I watched a youtube video on how to do it.   I hope it comes out alright.
Signal Red
4 Speed

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 22:26:06 »
Here are my results.  I have to say I impressed that way it turned out.   This is the first time I have done anything like this. The kit only cost $13.  I did have to do multiple color coats to keep filling in the rip.   The kit supplied a big flat tack on a dowel that you were supposed to heat up with an iron to cure the filler material.  This took the longest time because you have about 3 minutes of heat time but you had to keep heating the tool up on the household iron.  I then remembered (pretty much after I was done) that I had a ski waxing iron that was much smaller and could cover the entire rip all at once.  I wish I remembered that earlier :)

Here is the finished shot.  It looks even better to the naked eye.

Here is the product I used.

Signal Red
4 Speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 22:30:26 »
Looks fabulous, certainly for a first time go!  Pat yourself on the back, and keep the kit handy.  One rip begets another.
If you are like others, now you will be looking for things to repair!!
Now you can offer the service to your neighbors.  Just be sure to charge less than $125... ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 22:43:53 »
thanks.  Here is one more shot close to the same angle as the original rip shot for comparison.  The kit came with 3 texture patches.  All three were not at all close to the MB Tex pattern.  I have an old MBTex swatch.  I might put one more application of the color fill and lay the swatch down and then apply the iron to get the deeper texture.  Not sure I will bother though  ;D 

Signal Red
4 Speed