Author Topic: Is new genuine MB heater hose a modification?  (Read 2355 times)

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Is new genuine MB heater hose a modification?
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:12:54 »
Hi, I am fitting an MB  replacement heater hose on my 280SL.  When it arrived it was substantially longer than the original and could thus also replace a short pipe bend and another short hose as seen in the attached photo.  The photo doesn't really do the replacement part justice as I have had it on and there are no kinks  when it is fitted, I would be happy with this from an engineering point of view.  What I want to know is that if I fit the new part in it's entirety will it downgrade the originality  of the car? If this is the consensus then I will cut it back to the original length and refit the short pipe bend and other short hose.
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Is new genuine MB heater hose a modification?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 17:19:20 »
Most interesting. I just went to look at my 280 SL to see if I could understand where this hose fits. I replaced all the hoses last year, and did not have any issue with a longer hose. The only place on my car with a hose somewhat like this, is for the connection to the small fitting on the water pump. The hose is easy to spot as each end is a different size. I have a small section as the original one noted in the photograph, but there is not a small pipe, but a "Y" fitting, with a connection for the coolant around the inlet air manifold. Is this a right hand versus left hand difference??
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Re: Is new genuine MB heater hose a modification?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 00:39:02 »
Hi there, thanks for having a look at your car and coming back to me.  I have seen those y shaped systems but they are definniely not for my car (RH drive) would be good if I could get more feedback from others too.
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto