Author Topic: Radiator Reservoir Question  (Read 3942 times)

IXLR8

Radiator Reservoir Question
« on: January 20, 2012, 18:19:10 »
Hi--

Attached is a photo of the underside of the radiator reservoir of my 230SL.

You will notice in the picture that there looks to be a spot where a bracket of some kind may have been soldered to the tank.

Am I right that a bracket should be there?

If so, what does the bracket look like and what does it do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

the other Joe

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Radiator Reservoir Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 19:20:45 »
I believe it is not an attached bracket but a support rod that bolts onto the sub frame rail (if thats what its called...)
James
63 230SL

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 00:06:29 »
You both are correct.  There's a right angle bracket soldered to the tank which then attaches to a stand-off tube that attaches to the frame rail.
Here are the two parts.  In a few minutes, I'll have them measured up and post the dimensions so you can make your own.  It's really easy.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 00:58:25 »
Here's a dimensioned sketch of the bracket.  You already have the marks on your tank.  My old broken solder flow fits correctly when the part of the bracket with the hole is at the southwest line of the little square in your photo, with north being at the top of your photo.

The standoff is 10 mm diameter and, according to my notes, 113 mm long, but that may be total length.  I measured everything so I can identify stuff when it comes back from the CAD plater.  Right now it's all at my restorers place, in a bucket.  If I had to make it myself, I would use a piece of 10 mm diameter tubing (1/4 inch fuel line is close enough probably), mash the ends in my vice, drill the holes and grind the rounds.  A little paint will make it perfect.  You can also find the length by measuring in place.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 05:14:47 »
Interesting Tom. I never realized that L-shaped piece was actually attached to the tank! In my case, I have a "swinging arm" including that bracket that, when placed at the correct angle, firmly holds the tank in place. To remove my tank (which I did last year when the other bracket that attaches to the firewall separated from the tank) I just grab the arm and pull it out from under the tank. Kind of a little shelf. I wish I knew about this when I sent the tank out for repair on that other bracket. Oh well live and learn.
James
63 230SL

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 13:52:28 »
Joe, I don't know if this helps but this is the bracket welded to the side of a 66 230SL expansion tank.  I don't have any pictures of the underside unfortunately.  These are old photo's, I recently replaced the firewall pad and the air horn is gone.  Marcus

Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

IXLR8

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 21:05:28 »
Thanks to all.

As usual, you guys are the best at helping out!

Thanks again,

the other Joe