Author Topic: Frank Mallory 1932-2004  (Read 3143 times)

TA250SL

Frank Mallory 1932-2004
« on: June 05, 2004, 01:42:10 »
Just learned from a general Mercedes website, noted vintage Mercedes authority and publisher of Mercedes Collector passed away in his sleep Friday morning.  I am sure his contributions to the hobby will surely be missed.  Perhaps some members had the good fortune of meeting him and had the opportunity to see his 250SL.

Tom

Douglas

Re: Frank Mallory 1932-2004
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 02:13:36 »
Yes, very sad news indeed. I had the pleasure of chatting with him on several occasions. An extremely knowledgeable gentleman who created what is still one of the reference standards among Mercedes periodicals -- the "Mercedes Collector."

Imagine how many hundreds of fellow hobbyists like us he must have helped over the course of his lifetime.

Thank you, Frank. Rest in peace.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

pkiefert

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 23:08:01 »
I am sorry to see this notice too. I met Frank shortly after first acquiring the 230SL. He lived only a few miles from me. He was very gracious in sharing his knowledge and invited us to visit his home. He showed us his little office nook where he had a tremendous amount of Mercedes lit and allowed us to sit in his car. Of course, ours paled in comparison to his.  I believe I found him through a mention at the local MB club that he had a small online discussion forum when there were 2400bps modems and everything was text based. I believe it was served off his home computer and I think it was called the Silver Bullet. He was at the forefront of technology and information sharing. He will be missed not only for that, but because he was a darn fine gentleman.

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 18:14:49 »
Sorry to hear of the passing of Frank Mallory. We are extreamelly fortunate enough to have aquired his writing the Mercedes-Collector. I only spoke with him breifly when I first aquired my 280SL and he was very helpfull in directing me to the right sources.
He will be missed and I wish his family well through this difficult time.
Sincerely
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 18:16:25 by Bob G »