Author Topic: Speedometer output flange and what else?  (Read 3052 times)

n/a

Speedometer output flange and what else?
« on: June 07, 2004, 12:09:58 »
From reading the technical articles and posts here, I'm pretty sure I need to go in and tighten the nut on the output flange of the transmission to fix my flaky speedometer.  It is also recommended in the articles that I replace some driveshaft parts and the rear motor mount.  Based on that, can someone recommend to me what parts and part numbers I should be replacing while I'm there?  Since it sounds like an involved job, I'd like to do everything that should be done at once.  Thanks for the help.

Dan

1965 230 SL Euro 4 speed
2004 230 SLK

George Davis

Re: Speedometer output flange and what else?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 15:33:45 »
Dan,

partial answer:

You need a special pin socket for the flange nut, it's been discussed a lot so some searching should find info on it.  It's also not too hard to make one if you're so inclined.

Parts: new lock ring for the nut, and I recommend replacing the flex disk and rear motor mount and bellows while you're at it.  I don't have part numbers off hand, but the usual parts suppliers should have no problem with them.  Failure to replace the flex disk may lead to driveshaft or output flange damage, so it's (not-so-)cheap insurance.

The book says you should loosen the exhaust system to get to the bolts that secure the cover plate under the transmission, but you may be able to get the bolts out with a wobbly extension and short socket.

Good luck!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Speedometer output flange and what else?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 11:43:48 »
When replacing the roto-flex coupling, remember that there is a "forwards" and "backwards" way to install it.  The manuals that I have seen all have a diagram of the correct setup.  Be sure to install it right way around or it will fail prematurely and could cause some vibration problems.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)