Author Topic: Door Trims Cleaning  (Read 3812 times)

keepmoving

Door Trims Cleaning
« on: May 19, 2012, 23:30:55 »

Hi,

I have a 280SL complete passenger door that I've had sitting in my garage and as a result has accumulate small signs of rust on the chrome trims. What is the best way to go about cleaning these parts?

Thanks,

Jacob

Wolfmann

Re: Door Trims Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:29:14 »
Fine grade wire wool and soapy water works well as do "Brillo" pads.

keepmoving

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:02:11 »
I use Eagle One 'Nevr-Dull' Wadding Polish for all the chrome trims and it works fantastic. I've tried several products but this one works the best especially for those very small rust spots on the chrome parts. Does a great job removing all the surface stains from the chrome.

Jacob

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:59:33 »
I recently bought a 1966 230SL that spent it's life in a beach community in Georgia. As a result, there is some corrosion and pitting on much of the chrome. "White Diamond Metal Polish and Sealer" was recommended to me and I am extremely pleased with the results. It brought new life to most of the chrome. Bear in mind, pitted areas mean the chrome is gone so no polish will correct that. But having a very good metal polish will treat the area around the pit and make the blemish look much less obvious. White Diamond has earned a place among my preferred cleaners/polishes. Plus, the label says it can also be used to restore plastic lenses, such as covering headlamps on newer cars. I bet it would do wonders restoring the lenses on tail lights, etc but I haven't tried that.
Hope this helps!
Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:12:50 »
I did the same to mine and finished off by polishing them with a little WD40 that seems to have prevented the tiny rust spots from reappearing :-)
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 17:33:03 »
I bet it would do wonders restoring the lenses on tail lights, etc but I haven't tried that.

But I did. Repeatedly. 8)

Yes Harry,
That's correct. ;)

Any sort of (light) chrome polish does perform very well on taillight lenses.
If you clean out the inside of the taillights as well they will shine like new. ;) ;D

Achim
Achim
(Germany)