Author Topic: Wiring Radio  (Read 2547 times)

RonB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, MN, Cottage Grove
Wiring Radio
« on: April 30, 2018, 01:30:11 »
I know that there is a fuse box on the left side in front of the bulk head - but is it possible to wire the radio so it goes on when the key is turned on  and goes off when the ignition is turn off.

I have spent last 3 hour in search of this question.

Thanks, Ron

PS - who every had my Pagoda before and installed and after market radio and amp did a butcher job on the some of the wires under the dash - cut wire and tired some together . Also use a multitude of wire colors that make no rime or reason to do short cuts.
Previously FULL Member twice with over 500 post

71 280SL - SOLD on BAT
97 E420      SOLD
85 300D      SOLD
85 R107 380SL
07 Volvo S60

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Wiring Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 06:57:32 »
Try this: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=27466.msg197177#msg197177
Go to the bottom of the thread.
On LHD cars the fuse box you talk about (near brake booster) is not for the radio. There is another one, next to voltage regulator, which is for the radio and antena.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:37:28 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

RonB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, MN, Cottage Grove
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 01:09:57 »
Thanks Pawell66,

I know the fuse box on the side by the brake booster  is for the side marker lights on one side

I have had no success what the other fuse is for. I know it come on with ignition.

Thanks
Previously FULL Member twice with over 500 post

71 280SL - SOLD on BAT
97 E420      SOLD
85 300D      SOLD
85 R107 380SL
07 Volvo S60

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 08:50:05 »
"The other fuse" - you mean the two fuses in the box next to voltage regulator?

If so, then for the radio there is a wire going to that box from R connector in the ignition switch (the first stop of the ignition key as you turn it). It goes in the cable harness. It is red/green. You need to find it in the harness near the voltage regulator. Need to pull out its end and screw it in this fuse box. Then from this fuse box the new length of wire goes througgh the grommet in the firewall to the radio. It is then powered when you turn the key in the ignition to R position or Ignition position. At least for most cars it is done this way.

If you had optional power antenna, there was another wire in the harness next to the red/green, that you need to pull out of the harness and screw to the second fuse in the fuse box and also lead another length through the grommet in the firewall to power the antenna. This is a red wire, a bit thicker than the red/green. This wire has power at all times.

The set up above is addressing, I think, your question on having radio on/off with the ignition key. This is the "correct" way of wiring. If you have troubles with finding the red/green wire and you do not want to get behind the dash to lead it yourself, then the solution is to power radio from one of the points that have power after ignition key is turned (e.g. one of the fuses). But this is not original solution.

If you already have this red/green wire in the fuse box (so it feels from your post) then there should be another wire from this fuse box, through the fire wall - to the radio. You would just need to hook it to the radio.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 15:29:04 »
Ron,
What items have power all the time?
Cigarette lighter, clock and light switch.
Maybe you can tap into one of those sources to keep the radio powered(to keep the station presets and time).
And use the power switch on the radio to turn on.
Walter