Author Topic: dash, radio and AC disassembly  (Read 5704 times)

ptooner

dash, radio and AC disassembly
« on: October 12, 2012, 23:58:21 »
I would like to get my radio out or at least get to the fuse in hopes of getting it working.  Not the fuse in the main fuse box, I kinda remember from 20 years ago or so that there is another inline fuse somewhere.  My car has the original Becker and also the Kuhlmeister AC system.  Apparently the entire AC inside unit has to be removed to get the lower dash panels off.  Is there any other way to remove the radio?  I haven't yet tried to remove the glove box but am contemplating going that route tomorrow.  Mine is the early model 230 with the three piece dash.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Gerry

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: dash, radio and AC disassembly
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:51:06 »
The fuse box for the radio is usually (note, the use of "usually" - meaning not always) mounted on the right side inside the engine compartment near to the expansion tank. If you do a search you should find some information. This is a small brown box.

Not sure about radio access available if you take out the glovebox. It does allow easy access to the clock, so you should be able to at least see the back of the radio. Taking the glove box out is pretty easy. Just remove the screws on top and bottom then slowly tilt the box out from the right (as you look at the glovebox) then unplug the connection for the light (the wire runs under a small notch on the bottom of the glove box.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 13:33:08 »
You do not have to take the glovebox out to remove the radio if it is a classic becker.
Remove the knobs and then the front plate to expose the fixing brackets at each side of the radio.
Unscew these brackets and remove then pull the radio out by pulling forwards.
I don't think that original installations had an extra inline fuse just the fuses under the hood (bonnet).
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

ptooner

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 15:01:49 »
The fuse box for the radio is usually (note, the use of "usually" - meaning not always) mounted on the right side inside the engine compartment near to the expansion tank. If you do a search you should find some information. This is a small brown box.

Not sure about radio access available if you take out the glovebox. It does allow easy access to the clock, so you should be able to at least see the back of the radio. Taking the glove box out is pretty easy. Just remove the screws on top and bottom then slowly tilt the box out from the right (as you look at the glovebox) then unplug the connection for the light (the wire runs under a small notch on the bottom of the glove box.

Thanks, I just looked and located a small brown fuse box where you indicate.   However, there are no fuses in it and it only has one wire attached.  That wire runs forward and down to the area of the AC compressor although I can't get in position to see it's actual termination at the moment.  Since the AC is not working either I can't determine whether it is related to this box or not.  Can you provide any more info as to the wiring going to this fuse box?  Thanks
Gerry

ptooner

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 16:03:43 »
Another update, I removed the face plate and found that the radio can't come out from the front without removing the dash.  Removing the dash is difficult because of the AC.  I removed the glove compartment and found what I assume is the amplifier duct taped to the back of the glove box.  I'm guessing it was supposed to be mounted lower in the space occupied by the AC evaporator unit.  Anyway, I'm still looking for power wiring.  The amp box has a round multi pin plug on one side and two double spade connectors (speakers?) on the other side.  There is also a jack marked 12V that isn't connected and german writing under the two that are connected.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  I hate to remove the thing before I determine if it can work.

Gerry

KevinC

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 16:11:19 »
Gerry,

Which make/model radio do you have?

Kevin
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 16:21:26 by KevinC »

KevinC

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 16:30:08 »
Here's the diagram for the Becker Monte Carlo

KevinC

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 16:39:58 »
Then of course there's always the Technical Manual to refer to in more detail...

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Radio

ptooner

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 19:38:51 »
Thanks, and yes I did go through everything in the service manual.  A few updates, mine is a Europa TG but the Becker link calls it a Europa TR.  I discovered that it IS possible to remove the lower dash panel and the face panel without removing the AC system.  More info, the fuse under the hood in the brown box is for the antenna.  It has nothing to do with the radio.  My problem was the inline fuse which was located behind the AC unit and I only found it by removing the glove box.  I also removed the clock and the courtesy light to make it possible to get everything out.  After I get it all re-assembled I'll try to write up the job with photos for the tech section. 

Gerry

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 06:01:59 »
Interesting about the wiring you found regarding the antenna. My 280 SL has the brown fuse holder, but it has a manual antena. I am traveling for the next two weeks, and will not have access to check. Keep us posted on what you find as you  indicated.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

KevinC

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 02:32:34 »
Jonny,

The Technical Manual states ...

"On most 280SL’s the fuse for the radio was in a small box with a bakelite cover attached to the inside top of the passenger fender next to the voltage regulator. The box also had the fuse the motorized antenna. Not all models had the radio fuses at the right fender position."

I am thinking that depending on your car the box either held one fuse (for the radio) or two (radio and motorized antenna). Interestingly, my car, a 230SL, has the box in place with a wired fuse on one side and an obvious location available for a second fuse with an inlet/outlet for wiring but of course nothing in place as I have a manual antenna also.

Kevin