Author Topic: How on earth do I put that rev counter back into place ?  (Read 3060 times)

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
How on earth do I put that rev counter back into place ?
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:07:07 »
Hi All,

I put the speedo and the center instruments back into place using the opening left by the missing rev counter. Now, to put back the rev counter, My hand can hardly get behind it to position the bracket and put the ground wire, and I definitely can't make it to put the knob/nut back into place. Is there something I am missing? Is there a thechnique to reach back there?

Thanks in advance for the help !

enochbell

Re: How on earth do I put that rev counter back into place ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:47:03 »
I don't think you can R&R without removing the radio and radio panel.  That is the only way I have found to get the instruments back in, and even then you need to be a contortionist. 

Best,
Greg

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:53:32 »
I had my speedo repaired earlier this year, and was able to remove and replace it without taking out the radio or completely removing the center instrument cluster. (note of information - I do have small hands). I was able to get the speedo back in with a fair (perhaps - large amount ) of patience. The tach was not too bad, relatively speaking. There should be a number of posts on the site about this (use the search function). I did not take off the steering wheel, but I understand that can be a big help. I think some other folks have also taken out the seat to make access a bit more comfortable.

Also be sure you have the correct "keeper" or bracket for tach and speedo, they are different.

The comment about being a contortionist is pretty close to the mark though.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Markbhai

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 21:37:58 »
I did this last winter. I felt like a contortionist.

First connect the tacho, including the ground cable and confirm your bulbs are all working - change them now if not!

Take off the panels from under the steering wheel.
Push the seat back as far as it will go.
Attach the cables to the tcho.
Put the bracket inside the hole (so you can get a hold of it in the next stage)
Put the thumb screw in your mouth (yes you read that correctly)
You will need help for the next bit.
Push the tacho into the whole and ask someone to hold it in position (all of your fumbling will move it otherwise)
Now lay on your back under the steering wheel with your head resting on the brake peddle.
"Weave" your hand up under the dash until you can feel the bracket you placed at the back of the tacho.
Using touch only (sorry) place the bracket onto the tacho and any ground wires - make sure it is all in place before removing your hand.
Take the thumb screw from your mouth (remember!) and 'weaving' again push your hand back and screw the bracket into place (make sure the ground is still on)

Get out from under the dash and test.  If the lights dont work it is likely to be your ground cable.

I had to push my arm up to the elbow almost, there is no room for movement and it hurts!

Alternatively, take it to a garage (which I did when the speedo cable broke 4 weeks later!!)

Mark.

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 22:01:42 »
Thanks for all the help !

I finally made uusing a small trick. My main problem was to keep the ground cable in place as each time I was trying to put the thumb nut tha cable ot both the cable and the bracket would jump out of place. So I fixed the grround cable on the tacho first while it was out with a nut all the way down the bolt. Then I anly had the bracket to worry about and it made it easier.