Author Topic: Turn signal stalk - missing contact plate  (Read 3683 times)

shanghaitom

Turn signal stalk - missing contact plate
« on: June 11, 2012, 00:07:02 »
I have just finished with the restoration on my 1970 280SL.  Problem is, no turn signals.  After reviewing the many great posts on the topic, I have identified the culprit as a missing contact plate inside the turn signal mechanism.  I will not incriminate the person that took it apart and lost it.

Anyway, attached is a picture I took from another post showing the correct piece and mine with the missing piece.  My question is does anybody have detailed photos of the contact plate and how it attaches?  I am wondering if I can fabricate a fix.  As you know, these stalks are very expensive and I want to try other options first.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Tom

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Re: Turn signal stalk - missing contact plate
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:04:44 »
Hi, I just read your post, belatedly.  Did you get a fix? I am repairing my turn switch and can give you the sizes, however the missing copper plate has two contacts riveted to it and unless you are vey handy it will be quite hard to reproduce.  Let me know if you want details.

cheers

Rutger K
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

shanghaitom

Re: Turn signal stalk - missing contact plate
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 14:08:49 »
Hi Rutger,

Thanks for your reply.  I wasn't able to get it fixed and ended up buying a new one.  I guess the positive is I have a backup that could be repaired at some point now!

Regards,
Tom