Author Topic: Soft Top Broken Large Spring Mounting Lever.  (Read 5832 times)

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Soft Top Broken Large Spring Mounting Lever.
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:57:05 »
When i started work on the rust bucket one of my first jobs was to remove the soft top frame,i did notice that the large spring bracket/lever was missing from the lhs, a common failing i understand.
Whilst the vehicle is away being painted i decided that i will rectify this problem.
I have removed the old soft top material and dismantled the frame into three component parts,with the frame assembly with the broken lever i have removed the mounting feet from both sides giving me access to both the broken side and the good side.
I have made a sketch of a jig that can be used to align a replacement lever in the correct position using the position of the good side and transposing this to the broken side so that a new lever can be welded in.
I have taken the sketch to my local precision engineering workshop and he is making the jig ,he is also going to mill out of solid a new lever.
The reason for all the above is that if anyone wants to rectify there broken lever ,now would be a good time to get  my machinist to make new LHS and a RHS replacement brackets/levers these could be used as templates for future levers,you could also borrow the jig to carry out the welding.
I do not know at this stage how much it would cost to make two extra levers but i would ask.
One drawback to doing this is that the soft top will have to be removed from the vehicle and the material insulated away from the welding operation.
If anyone is interested please let me know.
Eric

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Soft Top Broken Large Spring Mounting Lever.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 21:38:26 »
Hi Eric,

Are you making a whole new lever or just the end piece that has broken off?
 It is a common problem and I am sure there are quite a few who would want one if there was a whole lever.  I do need a LH side.

Regards
Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 00:50:19 »
Eric,

Can you give us a sketch of what exactly you are doing?  I need to repair my drivers side.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:33:17 »
Hello Gary,
My lever is broken off where it was originally welded to the main assembly,a new lever will be made so that it can be re welded into the same location.
It would be possible to make a complete assy: but if you can weld in a new lever in the correct location this would be a better solution.
Hello Jeff,
The jig i am having made will fit onto the good side using the large hole in the main assembly and a secondary fixing point using the peg in the same area,it will then transpose to the faulty side so enabling a new lever to be welded in the correct position.
If you bear with me, i will send you a photograph when we have made it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:40:38 by tel76 »
Eric

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 19:07:57 »
Well come to the club of  broken soft top brackets that hold the softtop frame big spring. mine broke  many years ago and
I am going to send it to Gernold at SL tech to repair and line up the soft op which will not lock down with out popping up in the rear. I found this a common problem .Fortunately for me I was able to save the piece  that broke off on the left side of the frame. I do not know if there is a resolution to making a better piece out of something stronger.

according to the instruction manual the front windsheld lock are tighten first andthen with the palm of your hand you an
bring don the rear of the soft top  into its lock mechanism.

Bob Geco
1968 280SL

gboyd

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 18:56:01 »
Hello. I have a broken L shaped bracket/lever on my drivers side.  I'm wondering if you guys had these remade and repaired?
Does anyone know the function of this bracket?

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 14:36:09 »
I had the same thing happen to my lever.  Had a local welding shop make a new piece for me out of stainless steel, so it would match the chrome finish of the lever.  He did not make the entire lever, only the broken piece, then welded together. I did not have the original piece.  It had been broken when I acquired the car.  If you have the parts, think of welding. 
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

gboyd

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 18:06:24 »
Thanks Bob.  I just got the car and the broken half is long gone.  A couple of questions:
- what does this gadget do, and how important is it in the open/close process?
- I would imagine that the entire top has to come off in the process, correct?

I have a feeling that this bracket and the missing little spring on the passenger side are what are giving me grief in getting the top up and down. 

If you have the contact info for the local shop you used, perhaps they could help me out, vs me trying to repeat the process.

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 23:56:08 »
Yes you will have to take the entire top off w/frame.  Mine was broke off on the right side too, so I traced the left side lever and reversed the drawing to the right side.  Made it on heavy card stock.  Then took cut out of drawing to the welding shop, and they used the cutout to make another piece to weld onto broken lever.  Yes you will have to take apart the frame in order to get to the piece that is broken for welding.  This lever is inportant because attached to it is the large lifting spring (counter weight spring).  Also you should replace the small springs too while frame is apart.  I will look thru my parts box, to see if I still have the cutout.  If so, I can send it to you.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto