Author Topic: difficulty shifting after driving for a while  (Read 2452 times)

Elvis

difficulty shifting after driving for a while
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:45:05 »
My 1970 280 standard needed the bottom bushing replaced after suffering through the failure and 'loss' of the shifter (the shifter disappears into the gearbox when the bottom bushing fails).  I had no idea what had happened and let my Rolls Royce mechanic buddy fix it.  Subsequently, I find that I have trouble getting the car into lower gears after driving for extended periods.  The car is sleeping for the winter, but I wanted to see if anybody has had similar problems.  I have a feeling that this may be a linkage problem (the clutch etc. are fine).

Anybody had a similar problem?

Thanks

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
Re: difficulty shifting after driving for a while
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:16 »
1)  Replace all the bushings in the shift linkage.
2)  Adjust freeplay on the clutch.  Oftimes with a problem such as yours, if a clutch is not engagine/disengaging completly the heat produced during driving will cause all parts to slightly expand which, in turn, makes it difficult to engage/disengage the lower gears.  This would be particularly noticable when trying to engage first gear following neutral when the dragging clutch keeps everything spinning while you are attempting to make a silent entry.

Elvis

Re: difficulty shifting after driving for a while
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 00:56:37 »
Very helpful and totally in line with my thoughts