Author Topic: radiator flush  (Read 4309 times)

ptooner

radiator flush
« on: May 05, 2013, 17:26:39 »
If you have tried flushing your system, did it do any noticeable good?  I'm considering it but I don't really have a good way to get rid of the old coolant and I need to know if it is likely to help my overheating problem before I try it.  Thanks for your experiences.
Gerry

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
Re: radiator flush
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 20:27:12 »
Gerry,

Some of this is probably obvious ... but just in case ...

Have you carefully checked for leaks?  I had a pinhole size leak in the heater hose and this was the cause of my overheating.  Also, before you re-core, just make sure your thermostat is doing what it should at proper temperatures.  You will find how to test it if you don't know and make sure your water-pump is providing the circulation.

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

ptooner

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 22:07:48 »
Thanks for the ideas, but I've never had to add any coolant so I don't suppose I have any leaks.  I changed the thermostat about 10 years ago and it gives every impression of working properly.  The car warms up fairly quickly to 180 and stays there unless I have to idle in which case it starts to warm up fairly quickly.  If I then get back up to speed it quickly cools back down to 180.  OTOH, if I run over about 75 to 80 in summer it will creep up a little but not over 190 below 100mph which is as fast as I've had it in recent years.  It is pretty sensitive to outside temperature and I live in Florida.

Gerry

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 22:51:07 »
Gerry, I also live in Florida and had the same issues. FWIW, it wasn't until I had the radiator re-cored that it resolved. I also have a radiator shroud and a bottle of water wetter.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Sableco

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 19:06:22 »
Gerry, I also live in Florida and had the same issues. FWIW, it wasn't until I had the radiator re-cored that it resolved. I also have a radiator shroud and a bottle of water wetter.

I had tried to find a radiator shroud for my 250SL by without luck, do you know of a source to get one.
Thanks and all the best
Basem

ptooner

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:56:45 »
I have one that I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to use or not.  I bought it from ebay for $250 plus shipping and put lots of time and effort into cleaning and painting it.  In other words, they aren't cheap.  If I decide not to use mine I'll be happy to let you have it for my cost but I don't know yet whether I'm going to use it or not.  My car doesn't have the mounting clips on the radio.

Gerry