Author Topic: The power of the internet.  (Read 4776 times)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
The power of the internet.
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:46:56 »
It's been brought to my attention that it's possible that parts availability and prices might be influenced by posts made on this forum and others like it.
What's the concensus among the membership? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Stick
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:58:49 by stickandrudderman »

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: The power of the internet.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:18:27 »
Easy answer

If "wanted" type posts increase the likelihood of parts being available or remade = great
If those same wanted posts increase prices = not so great....

Can't say I'm surprised. If I was int he parts or any other business, some indication of demand is surely better than none
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 12:21:47 »
Very interesting subject.

I have been saying for several years now that too many people on the forum are gushing about the 'great' increases in the value of our cars such that we are now seeing it having an effect on the pricing of spares to support them.  And Colin I fully endorse your comment that forums like this can have a negative effect on availability and pricing. As such I decided to stockpile certain items over the past two years and I am guilty of it myself in some of the items I have stacked away as an investment only, I expect an increase in value and I will eventually sell them when I can make 1000% improvement on cost (or I need them for my car again).  I bet you labour rates have not kept pace with the parts prices!!!!!

An example. I was one of the 250 people who ordered new ZF gearboxes two years ago when ZF went out seeking expressions of interest. Only 250 were to be and have been made.   Cost $10,500 Aust. Payment due two months ago. One I ordered landed in Australia two weeks ago  Now they sell for $14,500 Aust.. I handed it to the new owner of my 280SL 5 speed (who paid the landed price for it) and who got the benifit of the increases on that one but it is a great example.  I should have purchased five :o ;)

I think it is a really bad thing presently with parts suppliers price gouging in the market place but in the long run it may in fact bring new producers into the arena and the prices may fall similar to the MG or Jag or even VW Kombi parts pricing where everything, and I mean everything is now available, all reproduction but heaps cheaper.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 17:53:52 »
I think it's a good thing Colin. Transparency in markets generally drives efficiency.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Neil Thompson

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Louth
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 20:57:42 »
as these cars supposedly increase in value so will the price of the associated parts. Close to 100,000 dollars, pounds or euros for a good car are out of range for most enthusiasts who want to enjoy a car and dare park one on the roadside or public carpark. Remember the peak of the housing boom a few years age? things can change in the car market too.

neil
1964 230 SL RHD DB304 Horizon Blue
1957 190 SL RHD DB180 Silver
1988 R107 300 SL RHD DB199 Blue Black
1978 C123 230C 2dr Auto RHD Silver

enochbell

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 21:00:01 »
I have always believed that more information is good information.  Sure, there might be short-term wrinkles in pricing as a result of irrational exuberance or just plain misinformation.  But the efficiency of the net to vet truth from fiction is, imo, better than the "truth" promulgated by vendor-driven "commercial" markets.  That is the power of forums like the Pagoda SL Group.  There are no more knowledgable people in the world than what is contained in the expertise of members here.

g

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 23:09:05 »
Stick,

Very interesting observation. It should be no surprise that vendors of W113 items are following this and other sites for clues, as in such a narrow market like ours, this is an authoritative source of information.

Nevertheless, I think that our "Wanted to buy" chapter mostly serves people that try to find sources of spares at prices that are below those announced by professional vendors (read: more acceptable, yet still not cheap  :))
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 00:06:58 »
A few months ago we had a discussion of 230SL throttle linkage dashpots.  They were unavailable and 30 year-old technology.  At that time, after extensive searching, I found one that would work with a "readjustment" of the position of the dashpot in the bracket.  I don't remember what carburetor application it was from but anyway I identified it and it was still available among the U.S. muscle car sources for $10 or $15.  I saw one recently on eBay, advertised for a Pagoda, for about $80.  Maybe we should limit our knowledge of difficult-to-find parts and their prices to the Full Member Board.  At least those who sign up and pay membership might be somewhat protected from abuse of this group's special knowledge.  There is such a thing as being too helpful and stimulating abuse.  I have learned my lesson.
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:01:58 »
Tom,
it is frustrating indeed when one finds a useful part, posts about it here so others can benefit from it, and then sees the result of ones labor exploited. Unfortunately even if we discuss such finds only in the Full Member Board it may not help much. Many vendors are more than willing to pay our low cost membership just to get the kind of information you provided.
The example you mentioned is a case in point: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261206909194
The seller is a member here and probably found the parts thanks to your efforts. Not much you can do about it except to remember whom to avoid next time you buy something.
But that should not stop us from helping members here with difficult-to-find parts.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)