Author Topic: Abandoned 230SL - Should I or shouldn't I ?  (Read 15233 times)

jmbour

• Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Paris
Re: Should I or shouldn't I ?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 18:20:56 »
Orphaned,

Among many interests of this forum are these incredible stories of cars getting out of the junkyard.
You are very lucky and I commend you for trying to save this car.
Undoubtedly, the "AUTOMATIC" logo on the trunk confirms this is a Euro model.
I don't think you'll have to be concerned about the keys.
If you get out of the legal issue, everything will be easy, and rewarding.
JMB

1971 280SL US
1973 280CE
1987 300 E
2005 C230

douglas dees

Re: Abandoned 230SL - Should I or shouldn't I ?
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 21:54:40 »
Mechanics and landlords under "English common law" can clam abandonment or non payment of rent or services and take the abandoned property. I have done it as a landlord when a tenant leaves property behind regardless of whether they paid their rent.
My son's car was left outside for 4 years but when we put it on the hoist, there was no rust. I bought it for $1500 to sell the parts but ended up restoring it.

I wouldn't scrap it yet until you get a knowledgeable person locally to inspect it and give you an opinion on the cost of restoration while getting a legal opinion on landlord's right of offset. 6 years of storage at $100/month adds up on a claim.
Doug Dees ;)

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
Re: Abandoned 230SL - Should I or shouldn't I ?
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 19:14:41 »
This has all the makings of a fabulous story like "Snow Whyte." I find it fascinating that each member here has slightly different advice. There simply is no one right way to proceed! My own suggestion is ask your personal lawyer or family attorney for their advice on the ownership. I think it's important always to start with someone you trust. Then follow what they say. Although I see Michael S's point about the original owner having a claim to the property, even if they abandoned it, the fact that you care about the car makes me hope you are able to take over the project yourself.

I have one small, practical question. What's the black dot to the right of the light switch in picture w113q? (BTW, perhaps you should turn the light switch to the "off" position. You don't want to drain your battery :-)

Good luck and please continue to tell your story here, in detail.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel