Author Topic: radios  (Read 16993 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
radios
« on: October 21, 2003, 04:50:23 »
Still waiting delivery of my 280SL which gives me a too much time to think

Currently it has a very modern black tuner/CD in the dash, an amp and 10cd changer in the trunk (and one working speaker in the left side footwell). Also has an electric aerial out of the left rear wing. So hardly original spec. The sound bit is OK, the looks suck

So I want to go back to the Becker as the current thing looks dire in the middle of the dash - the rest is at least out of sight

Except we like our music and radio in the car.

One option could be to put the modern thing under the dash/set back a bit. Another option would be to put the unit in the trunk and have a remote in the car. Ideally, we put the workings from the modern unit in the Becker

What do people do? - this is a "working" car rather than a showpiece

Jan 1970 blue 280SL...mmmm
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Douglas

Re: radios
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 07:38:40 »
Jan, my two cents is to put a Becker back in the dashboard and if you must upgrade, put the new stereo somewhere discrete. I've seen them in the glovebox, in the trunk with a wired remote and under the seat.

Keep in mind that you can put a DIN plug adaptor into the backside of an old Becker, so you could theoretically play a Discman or MP3 player from an original stereo.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

n/a

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 10:26:04 »
One way to do it is to leave the Becker alone!!! Take a look at my home page and see what I did. Alpine CD in the glove box, 2 6X9s on the parcel shelf behind the seats...and it sounds awesome!!! You can have an extra set of parcel shelves built for "show" if neccessary, they're just wood covered in carpet. To add to the sound, you could also replace your original dash speaker with a small pair of stereo speakers, for a more "surround sound" effect. And no holes anywhere else in the car! I've been reading the other suggestions posted about modifying the Becker and playing CDs/MP3s thru the mono speaker in the dash, and to some that would be just fine. But I like to hear my music in stereo, with full bass, clarity, etc, at 75 on the freeway with the top down!!! and this is the best way I found. Just my humble opinion.

Steve W.
1968 280SL
www.stevewaddington.com/camaro

Klaus

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 09:31:41 »
There is a company in Germany that sells the Becker Mexico Cassette, complete looks as original, with new interior like power amplifier, connection for CD changer etc. I don't know about their prices or if they take cores back in exchange.
Fa. Wagner, Hardenbergstrasse 69, 51373 Leverkusen, Tel. 0214-61421, Fax 0214-66050
(from the US, 011 49 214 61421)

Klaus
1969 280 SL

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 12:25:53 »
Thanks Klaus

Looks interesting and could be just what I'm after.. http://www.autoradio-wagner.de/index2eng.htm

James L

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 12:28:05 »
Sorry.... don't know how to edit a post so this should be in previous one... :oops:

....as does this http://www.autoradio-wagner.de/index2eng.htm

James L

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 11:09:51 »
Tosh,

When you have logged in to the forum, you will see icons above the message you wrote in the discussion.  Hover your mouse pointer over each one and their function will be displayed.  Click on the one that says "Edit" and you can modify your existing message.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

John A. Dean

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 13:47:59 »
If it is sound that you are concerned about, you will have to have adaquate speaker area and spread.  The best speaker in the dash location will still sound awful by itself.  You already have holes in your kick panels, as you said you had one working speaker.  Flush mount, 6 inch round speakers in this location sound great and aren't at all noticeable if you can find some with some plain black grills (eg. Bazooka brand).  Pivoting speakers may help you appreciate the high notes better.  To furthur surround yourself with sound you could use speakers in the parcel shelf,as already suggested, but I think this would then limit your ability to put anything back there.  I have put a pair of speakers (4in round) just below the soft top well, facing forward.  It is a tight fit, but the trunk acts like a nice resonance chamber giving off some great tunes.  I did the same with some short oval speakers on my old 230SL, but find the round speakers sound better.  If you already have a DIN hole in your dash for the modern unit you may consider changing to a modern unit with a flip front, that way you have the advantages of controlling your amp and CD changer, and when not in use, the face flips to expose a blank black face.

1969 280SL, manual, MB TEX, green/cognac

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 14:07:23 »
I kept the Becker in it's proper spot, hooked up to the dash speaker and it's fully functional. However ... I also put a modern unit beneath the driver's seat, operated with a hand-held remote. I just point to the floor to switch channels, up the volume etc. It has a one-CD player in it which suits my purpose. You can also use a CD-changer in the trunk this way. For speakers I used the parcel shelves and put the high-tone minis on top of the dash (I should find another location for these sometime; my car is for use -around 10,000 miles per annum- rather than for show). The sound is excellent, except at high speeds the wind and engine etc noise still drowns out the finer details.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 14:08:13 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 16:56:07 »
Some will perhaps cringe as one aspect of my sound system, but music is really a part of my cruising experience, which is different from my driving experiences when all I want to hear is the exhaust note and wind.

Even when cruising, sound quality can be challenging in the open cabin. You need clarity and imaging, you need balance, and you need depth... at all volumes.

I have a simple, 55watt Pioneer deck that actually has two knobs and station buttons that approximate the aesthetic old style radios... this rather than the multitude of toggles and gizmos of contemporary styling.

I put a pair Infininty 6" in the kick panels, a pair of Infinity 6x9's in the package shelf, AND and Infinity self-powered subwoofer in the trunk.

The 6" bring a brightness to the sound from the front that really helps with the clarity of voice and high notes. The 6x9's bring some brighness from behind to help with imaging, plus the mid-range sound is closer to the ears and less likely to be muffled our by road/wind noise. The Subwoofer really does provide some needed depth and heart to the sound. The woofer can be adjusted remotely as well, and is not in my case used to rattle the windows of the car next to me, but simply to add feeling (literally) to the bottom end.

The 6x9's have a solid mesh screen covering them so that if I occassionally place something back there, the speakers are protected. Also, stuffing the compartment below the speakers/shelves with a micro/fiber fill (like pillow or quilt stuffing) really helps the speakers gain some depth.

Most who join me in the cabin really seem to recognize and enjoy the quality of the sound, whether it is talk radio, soft rock, or R&B. I'm sure country and Rap would sound good, but they aint allowed in my car.

Just thought I would share...

`68 280sl
`62 Lincoln Continental Conv.
`73 450sl

n/a

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 08:30:56 »
Here is my system, works great except for alternater whine and poor radio reception.  I'm still working on those issues.

- Secret Audio Stereo mounted in trunk.  It works via RF remote from front seat.  I also mounted the small remote control face plate in the ashtray so I don't even really need the remote.  It's out of sight and easy to get to.

- 6 CD changer mounted in trunk (goes with the secret audio radio)
- 600 watt amp in trunk
- I have a current sensing switch that activates an RCA output from my IPOD that is wired into the the center console (40G of MP3 songs)
- 4 speakers, two out of sight under front dash and two mounted to rear deck behind front seats.

The only thing visible are the two speakers mounted behind the seats, everything else is hidden.  The original becker radio is fully functional and looks great.

69 280SL

-Wayne

wayne gaudette

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 14:58:30 »
I thought this thread had long since died!

Anyway, if you're vaguely interested, here's where we ended up

Becker GP from www.koenigs-klassik.de
He also supplied the Alpine unit slung under the dash. And the 6 CD changer in the trunk. And the cabling so I can plug my MP3 in (it then sits in the tray (near the gum wrapper)).

The amp is in the trunk and that came with the car. As did the speakers. The dash one works but the two in the footwell let the rest of the system down royally. I'm on the lookout for a new pair of the same size

(and yes, I know the carpet is not standard MB stock, nor colour ;) )

Download Attachment: Radio.jpg
75.71 KB
James L

jeffc280sl

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 18:00:07 »
I have invested a fair amount of time and money trying different Becker radios, pre amps, amps and auxilliary inputs. Still not satisfied with the sound but I'm still working on things.

I have learned a thing or two about the aux input port on Becker radios. I should say Becker stereo radios including Grand Prix and Europa II models. Both have an aux input connecter on the rear that can be used for input audio from a tuner, cd player, tape or MP3 player. You can purchase a cable from Becker that connects to the 7 pin connector on the rear of the radio. The other end of the cable has a mini stereo female connector. When you plug your Ipod or cd player cable into this connector the radio input audio to the radio amp is disconnected and replaced by the input audio from your new device. Volume is controlled by the volume knob on the radio. I can provide pin out details if needed.

I bought a 400 watt Alpine amplifier which I mounted in the truck (boot) near the spare tire.  It's out of the way and secure. This amp accepts both speaker and preamp outputs.  Since I don't know how to access the Becker preamp stage I used the speaker outputs from the radio as inputs to the Alpine amp.  Can anyone confirm that the seven pin din connector has a preamp output for the radio?  If so, I'd like to try and use it to see if the sound is cleaner.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

hauser

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 00:48:08 »
Has anyone had any dealings with the company that Klaus mentioned?

Most of the modifications performed have been hidden units, CD players and ipods.  Has anyone installed a satelite radio?  The one draw back I see to these is you have to pay for the service.  The nice thing is no commercials and you can remove it and use it in the house.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

n/a

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 02:11:38 »
My recent experiences may be of interest to the rest of you. I just purchased a mint 2-owner unrestored '64[/b], the only downside of which was a horrible black '80s Sony Radio/Cassette unit, which I decided to remove to fit the original blanking plate that came with the car. I was horrified to find this; a cut and riveted dash!

I removed the riveted plate, after measuring the spacing of the rivets and realising that they were exactly the same as the modern DIN opening size, and carefully filed the hole to an exact and accurate DIN opening, as I had an idea.

After carefully selecting a CD player with a detachable face that would look right in the dash, (ie lots of chrome to match the chrome details and at least the semblance of 'knobs' rather than all buttons) I carefully installed the new unit

With the face installed the unit looked quite good - lots of chrome and even the highlights were blue.

However, the real reasoning behind my plan was this - I carefully manufactured a fitting from aluminium to which the original blanking plate was then permanently attached. This complete 'unit' can now  simply click into place when the CD player face is removed! This literally only takes a second or so, and gives me the choice of fantastic and easily accessible stereo sound (a set of quality JL 'split' speakers with crossovers were carefully installed hidden up front) or very-near original looks with just two simple 'clicks'.

It works a treat, and the 'mounted' blanking plate actually looks so good that no-one has even picked the mounting isn't original until I point it out.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 09:02:14 by n/a »

Ed Cave

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 20:23:15 »
Nice project, Aussie230. I Love the custom plate that hides the 'contemporary' radio that hides the unfortunate modifications to the dash. Very nice solution.

While we are back on the subject I thought I would share a project I just finished. Wanting to upgrade from a Becker AM/FM mono but retain an original look, I am purchasing a Becker Europa II Stereo. Typically, the in-dash speaker is a single mono unit. In my restoration project we found an unusual set up with a small single cone and two tiny tweeters, all set up and wired mono.

With a stereo radio in the dash, I sensed a need to have two speakers (L & R) so, after a little research to find the absolute smallest two-way speakers I could, these JBL's fit the bill. Tried to find a German speaker solution but all were larger/deeper and space is a major concern. I also considered the original MB speakers that go on the kick panels with the square black plastic covers but personally don't care for that look.

As you can see from the photos, I fashioned a 'plate' similar to the old one found in the car and mounted the two, 2-way speakers. Yeah, all of the sound comes from the same place but I've got to think this will sound alot better than mono FM playing through a single cone.

I just sent it to the guy (Brian Peters, www.motoringinvestments.com) that is restoring my car and hopefully it is going to fit. We think it will.

The final idea with regard to 'sound' in the car is to run a DIN cable from the Europa II to the ashtray. I may re-fashion the interior of the ash compartment in leather and engage a mini I-pod in there. Flip up the top and lift it out. Does that sound reasonable?

Download Attachment: Old-Speaker-Front.jpg
37.41 KB

Download Attachment: Old-Speaker-Back.jpg
37.66 KB

Download Attachment: Speaker1.jpg
29.38 KB

Download Attachment: Speaker2.jpg
33.52 KB

Download Attachment: Speaker3.jpg
21.5 KB

Download Attachment: Speaker4.jpg
23.67 KB

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL

Douglas

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 05:20:17 »
FYI, there's a pair of original speakers for the kick panels on ebay right now: item #4515316110. (Not my auction.)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220