Author Topic: repair or replace?  (Read 3911 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
repair or replace?
« on: December 11, 2015, 17:27:11 »
I am going to be painting my car after my mechanicals are finished (engine is being rebuilt by Metric Motors)
Please see attached pics
One is the top of the dash--I have MB tex--can this be repaired?  Should I repair?
The other pics are of the windshield.---the windshield is in great shape but it is delaminating.,  I like the fact that it is original glass- and I think the delamination
adds character to to car--would you replace?  Opinions welcome!
Also--do i replace my antenna?  it is original but it is not in the best of shape....
Lastly--Engine is out of the car---do we paint now ?
Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: repair or replace?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 20:16:06 »
Steven,

It's all up to you, as you are the owner and driver of the Pagoda.
If you are a perfectionist, then the damage is to be repaired.
If you are a daily driver with little worry, then you can leave as is.
Dash cracks can be repaired with epoxy and paint. 
The delaminating is common in the laminated windshields, only replacement is the option.
But, I see something that is a bit more worrisome.
The rust bubbles under the windshield gasket.
That is a more serious issue.
Take care of that before doing the other issues.

Walter

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 20:22:08 »
Walter--
Thank you for your response. 
As mentioned, the car is going to be painted so the rust issues will be addressed!

Do you know which epoxy can be used?
Regards
Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 21:19:57 »
The delimitation has come about because of the leak in that corner of the windscreen as has the rust also. As Walter said you need to replace the windscreen and whilst there fix the rust.  If it has been leaking there for some time, and delimitation suggests it has, then there may be water getting into the front floor pan area and you may well find rust there as well.  It will only get worse if not fixed.

I always say if you are going to paint then remove the engine and do the engine bay as well.  In your case with the engine out it would be a good time to paint and at the same time do the window repair. Whilst it will not be cheap it will be a whole lot cheaper than doing them individually and going over old ground each time.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

DickLewis

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 00:20:06 »
I agree with everything said so far.  Replace the windshield, and do not skimp on the new windshield seals.  Those are very important and you want OEM seals, not the reproduction seals.  The dash is problematic.  Any attempts to make it look original will be seen.  So it depends upon how much you want to spend and whether or not this is to be a show car.  But once the windshield is out you have access to the dash so that is the time to fix it.   And if the engine is out absolutely paint the engine bay.  My thoughts.

Dick