Author Topic: Carpet Color  (Read 4428 times)

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Carpet Color
« on: June 18, 2004, 15:54:31 »
Pagoda-philes,
  I am interested in replacing the carpeting in my 1969 280SL. My factory build card shows a code 139 which I understand is a bamboo tex interior and a dark brown carpet. I know I am not supposed to have a square weave carpet as that was native to the 230SL. My current carpet I believe is original. It seems to be a solid dark brown loop carpet. I have been offered a multi-color dark brown loop carpet. It has milk chocolate brown and dark brown loops in the material. Is this appropriate? Is there a vendor who has a solid dark brown loop carpet? Any help on these issues would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Ted

PS: Douglas rated my current carpet a 2 out of a possible 4 at the West Point meeting. I would be very upset if I replaced the carpeting and my car received a lower grading in the important area of carpeting.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Carpet Color
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 22:30:21 »
Ted,

I may be mistaken, but I believe you should be able to find the 4-digit code for your interior on your Data Card.  My leather is 219, but my interior code is 1098 which indicates the color of the carpet, floor mats, and possibly the 219 leather itself.  I can't recall what all is indicated by the 4-digit interior code.  Get that, and you will have your "originality question" answered.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

n/a

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 21:33:33 »
Ted, try Bill Hirsch Automotive (hirschauto.com).  I am about to order squareweave for my 230SL ($400 for the set) and the samples they sent in the mail this week were helpful.  The solid color tan MB 3 C color sample they sent is actually more of a medium brown than I expected.  Price seems more reasonable than I have seen from other vendors; leather binding is an option. Phone is 800-828-2061.

Don French
North Canton, OH

'64 230SL with 300K miles
(and a handful of other MB classics)

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 08:30:40 »
Don,
  I understand that the squareweave was used on the 230sl's. I have a 280SL and it came with the loop carpet. I spoke with Hirsch this morning and they told me the only loop they have is the multi-color loop. It seems that no one has a solid dark brown loop carpet available.
Thanks,
Ted

Sphe

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 08:24:21 »
Now this reply is probably going to be completely taboo for most of you here... But I was thinking. The carpet kit is kinda expensive to buy for the car. Would it be a terrible and not-worthwhile  move if I were to buy a sheet of carpet and just "cut and paste" if you will?

P.s. how do they attach the carpet anyway? I imagine it would be some kind of glue...

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 08:59:58 »
If you have the patterns (e.g. from the old carpet) and are skilled enough, also in adding the edge piping or whatever that is called, this should be do-able? You would have the added pleasure of always knowing you did the work, especially if it comes out nicely, and saved on the labor.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 11:49:23 »
I love do it yourself projects, not to mention the savings. The problem is sewing. While a 113 carpet pre-cut and sewn will probably cost about $425 US. I believe a few yards of carpet can be had for $80. The $345 in savings is enticing but, I do not have the sewing skills to sew the piping. Even if I were to impose on a family member who did, a special heavy duty sewing machine will be needed to sew carpet piping or edging.
  Gluing on the other hand is what the installation job is all about. Contact cement or spray on material glue can be used and is a relatively easy job.
Ted 1969 280SL
PS: I will be ordering the a dark brown loop multi - color carpet this week.

SL113fan

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 05:49:56 »
Ted,

Could you update the group on the results of your new carpet search?  Did the new brown import loop match the old one satisfactorily?

Thx.

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 10:10:20 »
I am now the proud owner of dark brown multi-color multi-loop carpeting for my car. I would have preferred a solid brown multi-loop but, I was unable to obtain it. I have not installed the carpeting yet but, it does look very similar to my current solid brown and it will be a definite improvement. The two shades of brown are not offensive and they are original. Bottom line, yes I am happy with it and I need the time to install it. If anyone wants to come over to help out, I will not turn away volunteers.
Regards,
Ted

hauser

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 17:26:31 »
Hi guys. My car has the very same capet you have described. It is sort of a two tone brown light and dark. I think it looks good with my chocolate brown leather.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.