Author Topic: Seeing a Pagoda on the street  (Read 3062 times)

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Seeing a Pagoda on the street
« on: August 05, 2004, 16:19:44 »
These days it is rare to see another Pagoda on the street, much less during rush hour.  So imagine my surprise yesterday morning to see a bright red 1967 230SL (at least the license plate said it was a '67!) turn onto Telegraph Road while I was waiting at the light!  As I was pulling up beside him at the next light just before the Beltway, I noticed one of his brake lights was out, so instead of calling over to the driver "Nice Car! I've got one, too!" I ended up saying, "You've got a brake light out!"  The light was changing and some fool was laying on the horn so no further conversation was possible.  Maybe the person I was talking to is on this site?  We can't live too far away from each other!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Admin addition: Telegraph Road is in Alexandria, Virginia, USA
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

n/a

Re: Seeing a Pagoda on the street
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 16:38:07 »
Hello mike,
 I wason telegraph rd the other day,but in heswall here in the U.K
and someone pulled upto me to tell me my blinker light was flashing
red not orange which is the correct color for U.K vehicles, I told
him I had just imported it the other month.

Pagoda Red

red kelly

hauser

Re: Seeing a Pagoda on the street
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 20:56:11 »
Hey Mike I got to see two yesterday. One was a '71 280 and the other was a '69 280.  I was traveling on Main Street and parked in front of Continental Imports was the owners personal 1971 280sl automatic. I had never had a good look at it before so I immediatly pulled in to get a closer look.

Once in the parking lot there was another pagoda. I walked into the office to say hello to Walter and got the low down on the '69.  This car was advertised in the auto trader and hemmings as a "total restoration". I recognized the phone number prefix in the ads. The owner lived about 15 minutes from me and I called him about the car. The asking price was $26,000.00. Rebuilt everything, replaced eveything, new paint (silver), and new interior (cream).  Everything sounded great until he said "Italian leather????" He did not use a kit. Well that was enough to dicourage me from seeing the car. Seems if you're doing a "total restoration" you should at least have a correct interior.

The only nice thing I can say about the car was that the doors opened and closed nicely. The self tapping screws on the dash wood looked light a nightmare. Snaps were screwed around the cockpit for some type of cover. The Italian leather on the seats was poorly done and the other leather pieces were painted/dyed in place.

Its new owner had it there for tuning prior to shipment. The bottom line, sold for $22,000.00.

I forgot to mention a 1950's Rolls Royce being serviced in the shop. 8)  

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.