Author Topic: Rubber sets: OE vs Repro  (Read 5153 times)

racefaith

Rubber sets: OE vs Repro
« on: March 07, 2014, 14:08:58 »
Hello. Replacing windshield rubber seal and various members advised other rubber seals to knock out while this part of rest underway. Called our usual suppliers and entered into OE vs Repro discussion. So quality and fit v price comes into play.

Im leaning toward the "kits" that offer multiple parts bundled together to save money and the difference in OE v Repro is enough that I want to consider the Repro. That being said, the vendors advice was "anything in contact with glass, go OE. Other areas, Repro is OK. Now dilemma. THey offer bundled kits to save money but seem to advice against some of the contents for quality purposes.

Members thoughts here? Has anyone done the windshield and glass pillar seals with Repro products and regretted it? Other seals in bundle are door, trunk, pillars, entry step, gas filler neck, and some bits.

thanks!!

Baybear

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Midlothian
Re: Rubber sets: OE vs Repro
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 15:09:12 »
Recently changed windshields in my 280sl and 300sel 6.3. Glass shop insisted on OE as in their experience Repo did not fit well. I think I read others have used Repo in other areas as you indicate without problems. For the windshields I would use OE.
Baybear
Will Milby
1970 300SEL 6.3, 1971 280SL, 1972 300SEL 4.5, 1972 Super Beetle, 1998 SL500, 2010 350 GLK, 2012 SLS AMG

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 15:33:17 »
Racefaith,

Windshield seal needs the corners to be molded in, and the repros do not have the corners.  Have to use the OE for the windshield.  Even experienced window guys have problems with the repro unmolded seals.  The chrome needs to fit a certain way.

Also, The A-pillar seals that the side windows roll up against need to be OE.   They have a fabric texture built in that allows smoothness when putting the window up or down, the repro does not have the fabric texture.

Also the soft top hatch seal needs OE.  The soft top rubs against it, and the "fabric" in key areas that the OE has is necessary.

Door seals are fine, trunk seals are fine. 

I would not buy the whole repro package......

Mike Mizesko
Columbus OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

KevinC

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 21:17:24 »
I have a re-production windshield gasket from SLS in Germany that I never used. How can I tell if the corners are "molded in"?

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 21:30:38 »
Kev,

just put it up against your windshield.  If the corners are obvious, then they are molded corners, if it a big oval, it is probably repro (made by "URO"?).  I bought the URO first, and then returned it.

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

KevinC

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 22:02:35 »
Thanks Mike. Corners are quite obvious on this one. I thought MB was too much $$ but URO might not have fit well so I went with SLS but sold the car without installing it!  RF, you are free to look at it anytime seeing we live about 45 miles apart. I also have a roll of door edge rubber for the lower chrome moldings if you are doing that too. We can decide on a price if you like the item(s).

So you know, a handful of SL owners meet most every Saturday morning at Romito's Deli in East Longmeadow, MA at 9:00am. On occasion, one friend with one of those funny looking mid-50's cars also joins (you know the one with those silly doors that hinge at the roof line?). This time of year unfortunately its "Coffee without Cars". Four pagoda owners should be there tomorrow. PM me if you ever want to join us to make sure we'll be there. We'll be discussing wood refinishing amongst other topics I'm sure.

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 03:43:56 »
The windshield weatherstrip from Mercedes is a lot less expensive now and lists for $144.00. 2 years ago it was over $300.00 so get them while they're hot.
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

jedwards

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 09:25:48 »
I have fully re-sealed my car, hard top and soft top with all new weather seals including the windscreen. At the time I did not know any better, so I bought URO seals from Gold Classics (www.goldclassics.nl/Mercedes-Benz/W113/) based on price and postage costs to Australia.

Most were perfect but a couple , including the windscreen seal and the rear hard top seal were a bit too long and I had to be cut and rejoin them to get a good fit.  Not ideal, but not difficult either. Its all about your budget. As the old saying goes, you can either spend money or time.  Take your pick.
Would I buy repo again and use the money I saved to restore other parts? Yes I would.

Good luck.