Author Topic: engine tags reproduction help  (Read 5161 times)

brunofang2

engine tags reproduction help
« on: July 03, 2014, 16:55:17 »
My engine was sent to metric motors.The shop that pulled the engine didn't tell me about the replacement block re stamping process or I would have used data card number.The number used to stamp replacement block is not numbers on data card. Two numbers switched places. Now engine is assembled & ready to install.I want to correct this with a reproduction engine tag. Any info on reproduction tags appreciated.Thanks

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: engine tags reproduction help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:03:08 »
What "replacement block re stamping process" are you talking about?
I am afraid you wont get much help here trying to falsify the engine number on your non-factory replacement engine.
Perhaps this discussion here might help you understanding why: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=20003.msg142119
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

brunofang2

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 20:34:03 »
Hi 66 & blue. When you send your engine to metric motors the engine they build has the block stamped with VIN & motor number you provide.All stamped into one line unlike factory numbers.The  engine numbers (last 4 digits) stamped now are from core/donor engine which was not original  & doesn't  match data card .Had I known process I would have provided this info.Nothing to Falsify.Car wont be presented as original engine.Its obvivously not original when compared to factory markings and couldn't be passed as such.What if the car is stolen,wouldnt you want the VIN & number stamped on the block to match title & data card? If your 230 engine needs replacing & you choose a non factory engine from metric what numbers would you want stamped on the block?I want my beautiful new engine to have numbers that make sense.How could anyone sell a car with a new engine & warranty etc. and claim it to be original engine?

hauser

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:37:14 »
When Metric rebuilds mine I get my original numbers matching engine back.  I don't want an exchange and don't know why anyone else would want to unless they do not have their original.

Metric will however re stamp it with a different number.

brunofang2

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 15:06:13 »
Hi Hauser ,Im sure your metric motors engine is excellent like mine is.My engine was not original & was shot so I went with the exchange.The number stamped is from the non original engine. Engine is assembled now hard to ship & re stamp.I thought of using a tag of some sort to cover last four numbers ,tag would have data card numbers.I may have to fix at local shop.Thanks for info.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 15:15:42 »
Metric will however re stamp it with a different number.

When mine was rebuilt by Metric going on 13 years ago now, they were asked (and they complied) NOT to alter any serial numbers of any kind. Just leave them alone. That they did.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 18:19:29 »
My lower block was replaced back in 1979 when still in Germany and was replaced at factory.  The factory replacement blocks have a different tag which in German states that it is a replacement block from factory.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 01:18:06 »
Matching numbers don't seem to be too important with these cars.    No real option packages to add value to the build.  Providence of the builder is more important in my books.

When I took my engine number into the mercedes shop the parts guy was at a loss to explain it but the mechanic came in from the back and recognized the numbering instantly said that I had a very good engine.  They deciphered it as follows:

130 - 280sl
010 - manual tranny
1498 - part number
80 - replacement engine for a euro car
539274 - serial number

- the mechanic suggested that having a part number as engine number suggested to them that the engine was put together properly by mercedes and for a driver was a very good sign rather than seeing signs of a rebuilt engine with a VIN that looks a little different than stock.  A rebuild by metric regardless of numbers would give me more confidence than an original engine that may or may not be needing work and may or may not have been worked on with someone who may or may not know what he was doing.. 
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X