Author Topic: trunk lock disassembly  (Read 2833 times)

Jkalplus1

trunk lock disassembly
« on: December 22, 2014, 20:42:03 »
Gents,
Forgive me if this has been covered before, I cannot find it in the archives.
I am trying to take apart my trunk lock mechanism for chrome plating. If you look at my picture, I think my screwdriver points to where one needs to do something in order for the part where you insert your key to slide out of the housing I want re-plated. Can someone tell me how?
My local locksmith said he did not want to touch it when I mentioned the word 'Mercedes', but surely it is not rocket science? I want to avoid damaging the parts so I will wait for your advice on this.
Many thanks,
Jerome

Jkalplus1

Re: trunk lock disassembly
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 17:16:01 »
Disregard my OP, I found a 'locksmith who could'.
Now it will be interesting to see what kind of job the plater does with it. I will report on price, quality, etc if favorable.
I am only going to replate them because good custom chrome is much more durable than stock. The door handles and trunk lock housings were already really nice, no pits, but not show quality. You know, smooth but where the button pushes the finish was worn down to the nickel. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
This is my test run before I give him big ticket items to replate, or not! These should probably be the biggest pita parts to plate on our cars, save the fresh air vents!
Xmas wishes to all,
Jerome