Author Topic: t'is stuff dreams are made off - Thanks Dr. Benz  (Read 3327 times)

iceberg

t'is stuff dreams are made off - Thanks Dr. Benz
« on: September 14, 2004, 17:08:34 »
Hello All,
I have trotted the globe as a child with my parents while on our family vaccations, or with friends in university and now while travelling for work, yet I am about to regale you with a story about the most exciting trip I have ever undertaken in my 29 years.

Yesterday, on a bright sunny Saturday, I decided to go see my 230 SL '63 which has been in the most reliable care of the great Dr. Benz. I took a trip to Sarnia to see Dr. Benz, yes to the official clinic, the "Benz Barn". This is where the story starts and truly this is the kinda day, which any enthusiast would agree, is where you truly understand the purpose of your existance.

After about a 2 1/2 drive west from Toronto, I finally entered Sarnia and then driving along the coast of the blue lake on St. Clair Parkway (which by the way is one of the most exceptional drives), I finally reached my desired destination. Soon, at the Benz Barn, I finally met the great Dr. himself.

A big handsome man who is the most gracious host and the a very demonstrative teacher. Dan (Dr. Benz) took me through every part of the clinic and it was almost like a one of those really cool field trips in High school,except this was one on one, where I was shown and explained the working of every machine, from machining heads to open engine blocks to my favorite, the distributor calibrator. Here Dr. Benz showed me how he fixes distrubutors and fine tunes them to calibrate the ignition timing. This was the most fascinating machine I have ever seen and now I totally know how the distrubutor and the vaccume attached to it work. Ok here comes the best part.

After seeing all the cool classic Mercs parked on the property, as well as the ones parked in the work bays, my eyes feel on the beautiful "Red Rocket"!! The engine bay is to die for. And before we moved on to my car, I think Dan thought it was good for me to get a feel for what a Pagoda should really feel like, so I could appreciate all the great things Dan did with my car. With that, Dan took me for a spin in the "Red Rocket"!

This car has wings. Supernoise less engine with the 5 speed ZF transmission, a very special clutch, and super comfortable seats...oh boy this was a thrill of a life time. Wait it gets better. As we were cruising on hwy 40, and engaging in the most amazing conversation about Pagodas, the good Dr. made a U turn and pulled over to the side. Then he, almost as if it were a given, got out the driver side and while doing so he very casually said to me "Now you drive!". Yes can you believe it, me driving the "Red Rocket".

Prudently I slipped out the passanger side, tried to express my gratefulness, but I think I was so ecstatic at the very thought of driving the "Red Rocket", that all I could manage was to grin like a complete moron and make other foolish noises.

I took the wheel and off we were. After I shifted into the fourth gear, Dan reminded me that there was yet an other gear to go. The car has a zing, like you would believe. You get thrown back into your seat. I swear there is a "G Force" when you shift into the 5th gear, as Dan himself would put it "its almost orgasmic".

Soon after we returned from our joy ride, Dan and I took my car out for a spin. Now since this is my first Pagoda, and this is the only time I sent it in after I bought it, there was so much I didn't know about these cars and there was a lot my car needed. Dan had done such a good job with it that I just wanted to drive it back to Toronto that very instant. It drove like a beauty, and I knew then for sure that I had made the right choice by purchasing a Pagoda, a choice I had been doubting before Dan's expert hand touched my car.

Anyway, when we got back I had the great privilege of meeting Mr. Carson Senior. A thorough gentleman and like his son, a great host as well, who made me feel right at home and made really good coversation about Mercedes. He has a beautiful 123 Coupe, similar to the one I had owned many years ago in university.

Soon, it was time for me to leave and so I thanked my gracious hosts, and now good friends and made my way back to Toronto. Before heading home, I dropped in to see my friend and our President, Doug Dees. It was Doug's Birthday yesterday, something that I was unaware off. Yet I think its good I stopped there and said a quick hello and wished him as well. I was welcomed by Doug's loving family and friends who were celebrating with him.

The best part was when Doug's very talented Son, who plays the guitar really well and sings beautifully, sang a song that he had written expecially for his father. The lyrics were amazing. I think that was the greatest tribute to a great father and a friend. So all in all it was the best day I have ever spent in my life. Hope you all enjoyed this really long stroy, but given my joy and exprence, I thought this was must tell. In closing, a special thank you to Dr. Benz. And Doug, "Happy Birthday, Mr. President".

Regards,
Hassan

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: t'is stuff dreams are made off - Thanks Dr. Benz
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 08:42:04 »
...and this is why those of us close enough to Dr. Benz that we can actually visit him etc. feel very fortunate.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 16:23:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by iceberg

.... and our President, Doug Dees.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Doug Dees?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 17:19:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

quote:
Originally posted by iceberg

.... and our President, Doug Dees.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Doug Dees?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420

Doug Dees is the President of the Toronto Chapter of the MBCA which is not to be confused with the MBCC.  Got it?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 22:51:29 »
Canadian MBCC presidnt is Niel Hoffmann.  I've known both of these guys for a long time. Doug is doing a 280SL restoration at a place I know. I bought my 300SD from them. He also has a very nice 280SE Coupe.

Niel lives near Kitchener Ont. and drives diesels only. He's very fluent in German and has done research on archives in Germany for the club. Both people you would want to know. Very good clubs that I belong to although I'm in with the International Stars section rather than Toronto because of distance.

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC