Author Topic: Question for the room  (Read 3231 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Question for the room
« on: September 15, 2004, 12:08:49 »
Not sure if this is a petrolhead question, or an English language question...

I drive a Two-EightySL. I also drive a Two-ThirtySLK

I could drive a Nine-Eleven, or a Nine-One-Two

Were I so inclined, I could drive a BMW Three-Two-Five.

I used to drive a Saab Ninety-Five, but if I wanted one today, Saab would sell me a Saab Nine-Five

Peugeot have released a car called the Four-Zero-Zero-Seven (or something) and have been told by certain legal/film types that they cannot call it a Four-Double O-Seven

So, why? How do cars get their names. Why Nine-Eleven yet Nine-One-Two?

Just wondering...

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Albert-230SL

Re: Question for the room
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 13:02:37 »
 :D  I prefer to drive a Mercedes "Pagoda"... it has more personality  ;)

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

hauser

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 13:23:15 »
Have you heard of this concept car?  

It is called a Chrysler Me Four-Twelve Concept.

Download Attachment: me-4-12.jpg
28.21 KB

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 13:56:24 »
Well, I assumed it usually had something to do with the size of the engine, no? (i.e. cc's)

I agree it can be mind-boggling: I had a BMW 325i which followed the 325e not to be confused with the later 328i or the previous 320i...Then I got a 528i which followed the 530i .. iyiyi ...
(After a while they were all just "Beemers" that were lucky enough to share the garage with The Benz!)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

n/a

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 13:58:30 »
Does anyone remember the old Isuzu (I think) comercial about naming cars? There are a bunch of Japanese execs sitting in a room brainstorming new names and one guy says with a very straight face, furrowed brow and all the "edge" he can muster in his heavy accent, "Hhhhhuuumingburhd" (that's the phonetic version of hummingbird). I chuckle just thinking about it.

Who knows? How about a BB five-twelve? That makes sense, boxer configuration of a 5 liter 12 cyl engine. What I always wonder is why the Mercedes body identification numbers, you know 113, 107, etc. don't seem to go in any order. Much older cars have "higher" numbers than some of the new body styles.

Guess if we were automotive engineers, or more likely marketing types, we'd understand.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

Malc

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 03:34:09 »
I was once told by an automotive engineer that the naming of cars is a complex and legal battle both inside and outside a company.

Peugeot have the "copyright" to the numbering sequences they use ie 205, 206, 207 ,305, 405 etc
However I believe the folk who make the james bond films have the "rights" to 007 so nobody can use that without permission

In the past Rolls Royce have taken people to court over the use of the patented radiator grill design, flying lady and RR logo, especially when somebody has bolted a RR grill on some home made car. Afew years ago a guy became famous for building a car with a  world war 2 spitfire engine in it and a rolls royce grill, he was for ever in court about it.

Land rover wanted to call the Discovery the Highlander when it was first introduced, but Volvo had the rights to that name.

As to the Japanese car maufacturers........

malc