Author Topic: Hood Medallion  (Read 2905 times)

RickInTex

Hood Medallion
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:53:06 »
My 67 250SL has been missing the hood medallion since before I got it (presumably disappeared during a prior owner's repaint), and I'd like to replace it. There are no holes or anything else on the hood to indicate method of attachment or exact positioning.

So if anyone could give me a measurement from the front edge to the bottom of the medallion, I'd be grateful. Also for information on fasteners. And finally, is there any reason (originality, model-run changes) not to order the medallion as listed in the usual parts catalogues?

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed

Bob G ✝︎

Re: Hood Medallion
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 12:45:03 »
Rick;
Are you sure there is not a fine skin of paint covering the holes. Look on the back side of the hood for holes and pook lightly to see if they go throught.
Bob Geco

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 14:35:33 »
Rick,

On my car this is held on by two posts.  One post is long, threaded, and has a washer & nut.  The other post is short and is only there to prevent the medallion from rotating.  As Bob said, look at the back side of the hood for small holes near the center of the leading edge.  I think the medallions were the same through the W113 production run.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 12:18:58 »
This weekend I measured the medallion position on three 280 SL's...they were pretty much the same. The measure I came up with was 5/16th of an inch from the edge of the hood to the bottom of the medallion; that is 0.31 inch or 7.78 mm.

The medallion is held on by a nut installed through a hole on the underside of the hood; the nut fits over the threaded post near the top of the medallion. There is a second shorter and smaller unthreaded post on the medallion that fits into a second hole in the hood. The second hole is "blind", cannot be accessed from the hood underside. The stubby post fits into the blind hole to keep the medallion from turning sideways.  

Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

RickInTex

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 17:23:59 »
Richard M, et al.,

Thanks for your meticulous research and replies.  I think all holes were filled in in my hood at some point, although I see the faintest of outlines for a hole maybe 3/8" in the paint on top.  No evidence of a hole underneath, although I haven't used a mirror and bright light to check more closely.  I'm a little reluctant to go drilling myself and will probably find someone I can trust to do this.

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed