Author Topic: Picture of quarter panel meets rear panel needed  (Read 5570 times)

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
Picture of quarter panel meets rear panel needed
« on: January 14, 2015, 23:40:01 »
Hello,

I am in need of a hi-res picture of where drivers side quarter panel and rear panel meet.
I am debating to buy either full rear or partial rear panel, but need to understand how far up the full rear panel goes.
After stripping I noticed this particular area on my car was pretty busted. Although I don't want to cut corners in repairing this properly, I want to be sensible to my budget.

Below is the picture of the problematic area on my car and someone's picture I found on the forum, although not complete picture for my application.
I want to see how far the full, new rear panel reaches over the taillight and the quarter panel. The picture I provided here with the new panel is fine, it just misses a few inches above the tail light.
Can anyone help with a full corner picture in repair?

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 23:21:18 by cabrioletturbo »
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

VincentR

Re: Picture of quarter panel meets rear panel needed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 13:02:41 »
Hello,

Please find in appendix the requested picture of my resoration.
Have a nice day!  ;D

Vincent R
(France).

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 02:08:32 »
Thanks Vincent, exactly what I needed.
Igor

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 02:35:43 »
In my experience if you are paying someone to do the work it is actually cheaper to replace the entire panel as opposed to just a half. The work involved in cutting the rear panel across the entire width, welding across the entire 5 feet or so, metal finishing and bodywork can take quite a few hours and CDN dollars.  If you are doing it yourself that is a different story but not cutting,welding and grinding 5 feet might be worth a few extra dollars.

The car in your first picture is actually mine and shows a new factory quarter panel and a new factory full rear panel.

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09:38 »
Shvegel, many thanks for your words of wisdom.
I think I was just waiting for someone to spell it out that way for me.

Would you have the same picture with the camera aiming just a little bit higher - showing the corner above the headlight?
Igor

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 01:14:51 »
I'll look.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 19:08:21 »
You might be hard pressed to replace the entire panel without peeling the quarter panels(rear wings) back but a good body man will find a good place to cut and the seams will be short.  I would post a question to see if anyone has done the rear without replacing the quarter panels.  Another thing to take a close look at is the inner rear panel.  My metal man Rick Ollah started down the road of repairing the rear panel when we decided the inner was just too far gone to mess with.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 03:00:03 »
After my 250 SL got smacked in the rear last June (and after we discovered a few dodgy items in the rear frame rails) the body guys proceeded to replace the rear inner and outer panels, the rear frame rail (inside the two panels), all three trunk floor sections and both frame rails from the shock towers rearward. They were able to save the both quarter panels and trunk lid. The end result was a better fit than the car had when I purchased it. They did not need to cut in any new metal.

There was no corrosion in the quarter panels and they were able to graft in the inner/outer back panel, and transvers rail with no issue. The sticklers were the frame rails, but they were able to find good metal and get them in place.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor