Author Topic: Door Problem  (Read 5423 times)

dirtrack49

Door Problem
« on: January 24, 2015, 20:30:37 »
Recently, when opening up the drivers door, I hear a metallic popping noise coming from either the door roller hinge or possibly something inside the door itself. It started off just making the noise on occasion. Now, every time I open the door it makes two loud pops. I would guess that something has come loose, or possibly broken within the door?

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for?

TIA

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Door Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 21:20:10 »
Firstly I would be checking that the door has not moved and the gap at the front closed up such that it is just catching on the front fender.  That will make a ‘popping’ sound.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G
2005 MB A200
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Electric
2024 Volvo EX30 Electric

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 22:48:19 »
Your door check strap has failed or come loose.

dirtrack49

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 15:45:22 »
Thanks for the info. The door is still in the correct position and not hitting the fender.
I get a double pop when opening the door. I would think this would be the door check as "Stick" mentioned.
One other thing that I have noticed is the door must be completely closed and reopened to make it pop. Also, you can actually feel the pop vibrating through the exterior door panel from apparently being generated from inside of the door. 
In order to tighten up the door check or see if it has failed, I will assume the door panel must be removed?

Rodolfo

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 17:16:22 »
I have this too with the door of my car. (driver side: opens more, of course)
I will have a look at it one of the next weeks and order some parts. Anyway , you don't have to put the door out for it. (you shouldn't !).

It is probably the mechanism which makes that your door stays somehow fixed in the opening position. That is usually a plastic rol (the car is 20 miles from me, can't check now) and a spring going into an opening. Must be viewable with the door open at the front of the door.

best regards, Rudy

Yem

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 00:22:48 »
I have exactly the same issue on my drivers side door (right).  I have a new set of rollers that I plan to replace first to see if it cures the popping sound.  The sound appears to come at the closing phase of the door only and it seems it is a lot to do with the door closer, pin and roller setup slippage.

Yem

dirtrack49

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 15:41:34 »
I still have not gotten back to remove the door panel.

I noticed the other day that only when opening the door I get two distinct pops and the door must be closed before it will do it again. I also noticed that the pops occur just before the door check roller falls into the indent.

There was also a large amount of grease that had been applied to the door check. I removed the grease and can now see that the door check has a rough service that evidently allows the roller to track along the side of the check evenly. Unfortunately, I can now see that the roller does not turn continuously. This might be part of the problem?

Can anyone tell me if I need to remove the door panel to verify if the door check has come loose or is broken?  Or, is the problem with the door check roller?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 17:34:53 »
Have you checked that the roller has not 'squared off' i.e. has a flattened edge due to wear, can cause your problem.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL