Author Topic: Under carpet material  (Read 4301 times)

racefaith

Under carpet material
« on: August 28, 2015, 22:47:05 »
Hello and next interior rest question.

Car is out and new kit ready to be installed. Their was one prior restoration that was done about 15 years ago which included a floor pan replacement. At that time they seem to have placed a layer of "aluminum" topped adhesive material to the floor which I am guessing is first a heat barrier and secondarily for sound deadening. It hasn't been fun removing it but we're on our way. It was very well placed and molded to the floor and frame contours.

? - what material have folks placed down under their carpet re-fits? Im wondering if there is something preferable for both sound and heat?
thanks in advance.

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
Re: Under carpet material
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 11:54:34 »
Hi, I believe that Al'n backed material is called Dynamat? and is quite superior for sound and heat insulation.
I plan to place the black 3mm sheet bitumen-like material on the floor pans to keep it original. I believe these cars didn't have underfelt fitted beneath the carpet originally, but I found the carpet 'sat' better ( flatter) if you glued underfelt to the back of the carpet itself. ( pretty sure I read that tip in the forum somewhere). Gives a better finish to the carpet, better heat and sound insulation and even satifies the purists (some) when they lift your carpet to inspect the floorpans to see if you have the original material or some loose underfelt lying there. As a "would-be" purist I don't like the thought of someone seeing some shiny modern material when they lift my carpet.

Cheers

Rob
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 23:23:19 »
As a car owner, I don't like people looking under my carpet!  ::) 
If you are not fighting for every point in a Concours judging, I'd go with the Dynamat or similar.  The stuff is designed to provide a density to block road noise and reduce vibration.  I find it worked well in my car providing a noticeable damping of the rumbles under the car.  The only issue is the foil backing makes it easy for the carpet to slip about so you'll have to take steps to tack it down at the corners.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 00:11:05 »
I spray painted my dynamat flat black so you can't see the foil covering.  It holds the carpet better as well.
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

jerrycastillo

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 20:45:02 »
My car is having the rusted floor pans replaced. The shop doing the job suggests coating the floor pans and tunnel inside the car with Rhino liner to prevent rust, then painting it to look like factory and place Dynamat on top of it to deaden noise before laying the floor mats. Any thoughts will be welcome as I would like to preserve authenticity and at the same time avoid future rust.

Jerry

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 00:39:15 »
Rhinoliner is very rough. getting dynamat to lay down over it would be near impossible.