Author Topic: Interior Rear View Mirror change-out  (Read 3511 times)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
Interior Rear View Mirror change-out
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:24:16 »
The glass on the interior rear view mirror was not looking good.  This is on a later USA Car -- so the stem is satin silver metal finish with a black mirror frame.  I understood that the new mirrors would be all black including the stem, so did not want that and I understood that changing-out just the glass is not viable on these mirrors as they are not built like the 230sl mirrors.

So I found a used black mirror with a satin silver metal finish stem.  When compared to my original stem, the replacement mirror stem was much longer.  I thought since it had the silver metal stem, and not the newer black stem, it would be the same as the Pagoda Silver stem, but no, I guess Mercedes used the silver longer stem on other models.

It was time to swap stems --- I read on our forum to gently heat the socket area with a heat gun and pop out the stem.  This method worked perfectly -- didn't take much heat and it made a huge difference in how easily it poped out of the socket compared to not using heat.  Re-inserting the swapped stems into the sockets was also quite simple with a little heat -- again, much easier than without heat.

Thanks to those who described the method for yanking the mirror off the car, using a little heat, and how to re-install in the car.  Much head-scratching and time saved.

A photo of the two stems --- the shorter is the pagoda stem.   Also a photo of the stem installed in the replacement mirror.

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Interior Rear View Mirror change-out
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 14:28:02 »
Oz,

We had similar good results with this technique changing out the mirror on BarryD's 250 SL (late model).

I think the longer stems were on the sedans of the era.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
Re: Interior Rear View Mirror change-out
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 14:41:24 »
Oz,

My 1970 280SL has a black mirror with a satin silver metal stem, (short one).  Built in 4/70.

Mike Mizesko
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive