Author Topic: Different auto shifting  (Read 3413 times)

batman

Different auto shifting
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:04:31 »
I have a question regarding how my auto transmission shifts gears. It shifts from second to third and then to fourth quite differently depending how I accelerate.

If I accelerate gently or softly the changes tend to be a bit jerky and not smooth.

However, if i put my foot down and accelerate harder, then the changes very smooth. W

Does anyone experience the same, does anyone know why this occurs and is it normal or can it be adjusted?

cheers

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Different auto shifting
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 14:58:40 »
Hard to tell if your shifting is exactly like mine but I have found that there is definitely a sweet spot for smooth shifting. Almost an art to timing the foot pressure with the shift. Yet even after 30 years, it is still hit or miss depending on the situation... I can honestly say that most of the time mine shifts responsively like it should. But then all of a sudden, maybe in a controlled area like a parking lot or low MPH area, I will get the dreaded clunk.

It has something to do with fluid coupling design? Or something... I have heard of adjustments to the pressure modulator and other technical tweaks... I have not messed with this because I think mine is pretty normal. Its important to make sure trans fluid is full and every once in a great while filter and fluid changed. General linkage and stuff should also be right for everything to gel. Oh and consider renewing the shift rod bushings...  :o
James
63 230SL

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 15:16:29 »
There is a entrance ramp to a freeway here in columbus that is fairly short, and you enter from a stop sign.  I put the car in 3rd, stomp on the accellerator, chirps the tires from second to third, let the rpms get to 4,000, then shift to 4th.  Very smooth.  If I start off in 4th, it is slower and more "bucky".

Mike Mizesko
Auto 1970 280Sl
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

batman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 00:33:27 »
Agree with you James.

When I drive in what I call a "firm" way (so that I depress the gas pedal half way when starting off and moving to the speed I want) the car always changes smoothly. When I drive it lightly, sort of nurse the car forward slowly gathering speed its sometimes more clunky.

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 01:06:54 »
I guess mine is pretty much like what is described here also.  If I drive it hard it seems to shift better than babying it...  I can usually have it shift nice when I time the gas peddle with the shift.  Once in a while if traffic is not consistent I get the clunk when I can't drive it the way I want too...
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL (Sold)
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic