Author Topic: Rediculous ride height  (Read 5233 times)

srisant

Rediculous ride height
« on: July 16, 2015, 10:10:25 »
Hello from Bangkok, I'm restoring my 230SL and my local mechanic informed me that he can't adjust the ride height of the car unless I have to cut the springs.  I bought the new shocks and springs from Budsbenz USA.  Wondering if anyone can advise me on this? Saw some old post but still don't really understand.  Front is about 13in from the bumper and back is about 18in. Found some post it suppost to be on 12in from below bumper front and back for soft top with half tank of fuel.

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
Re: Rediculous ride height
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 10:44:48 »
This may be of help, although for a 280SL

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 11:01:55 »
Quote from: srisant
.../... he can't adjust the ride height of the car.../...
All adjustments are by means of the rubber rings above the springs, and the position of the plates on the rear axle thrust arms
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

srisant

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:36:50 »
Thanks but I'm looking at bring it down by 6in in the rear is that possible? My garage told me that the rubbers are already thinnest.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 11:48:28 »
Well then, do you have in your hand the correct length springs for the rear axle?
All specs are in the book of tables and the Workshop manual (BBB)
You should have rear spring type A113 324 0404    (or 0204 if you have stiffened suspension)

specs are 0404  free length 289,5mm   metal in coil dia 15,8mm   5½ windings
0204          free length 282mm   metal in coil dia 16,2mm   6 windings

Built in length for both 214mm +/-9mm
/hans in sweden
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 15:20:17 by mbzse »
/Hans S

srisant

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 12:25:53 »
Let me check over the weekend. Many thanks

watson2

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Lombardy, Vigevano
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 15:18:00 »
Hi . If you can post a picture with a side view of the car it could help to understand how serious your problem is.
In addiction to the precious informations provided by Hans , I give to you these details about my 230 MY 1964:
The lenght of the front springs in my car is 40 cm. with the wire of 15.3 mm (paint included) and I'm sure they are original.

Niemoller and Bud's Garage  have rubber rings of 20 and 30mm. of  thickness ;
SLS too has rubber rings with 20 and 30 mm in height with steps of 2,5 mm (20- 22,5- 25- 27.5- 30)
and their front springs are 43 cm. long with a wire of 15,6.

But, pay attention because the problem could be the detail with number  132 in the attached image.
In my case , just the substitution of this detail made the difference.

In the next days I'll be able to read on my car the heights that you have indicated.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 21:09:42 by watson »

srisant

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 06:49:33 »
I seems to have the correct springs but it is very high in the back.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 12:08:48 »
Yes, your thread title of "ridiculous ride height" is accurate!  Something very wrong in the back end.  Wrong springs?  Wrong central compensating spring, the horizontal one by the differential?  Front springs installed in the back and back springs installed in front?  I find it difficult to believe that this is just a problem with the rubber rings/pads or sub-frame mounts.  The back is just way too high.

You bought the springs and shocks from Buds Benz - have you contacted them for advice?  They are a good company and I'm sure they want their customers to be happy, so they should provide some installation advice and/or basic diagnostic help.  Provide them the picture you just posted here.

Going forward, I think measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel well is the best measurement.  It will not be the same front to back, but everyone's car has the same body.  Not everyone's car will have the bumpers mounted exactly the same way.  This is a good method to compare and fine tune precise ride height measurements from car to car.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"