Author Topic: Engine starting but stalling - 280SE  (Read 7372 times)

Twincam

Engine starting but stalling - 280SE
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:45:01 »
Hi guys - I'm new to the forum!

My name is Hasan and I'm from the East-End of London.

I've been on the look out for an active forum and found this one however I don't actually own a W113... I hope it's not too much of an issue! I actually currently own a W114 250 and a W108 280se, both automatics.

The issue I am currently faced with is with the 108. I've owned the car for about 6/7 years now and have had no issues what so ever with the running of the car, she has been the most reliable classic (bar some fuel pipes that have need replacement over the years) we've owned (have MK2 Consuls and Minis) until now. I recently came out to the garage to find a pool of oil under the engine to which I found a split power steering pipe. Quick fix with a replacement pipe and a top up of fluid and that was sorted. Whilst I had the bonnet open I removed the distributor cap and rota arm and gave the contacts a quick clean with some emery cloth as I was told it would aid my starting (the engine would turn over a few times before firing into life). I also cleaned and adjusted the points.

Next I came to start her up to ensure that there were no air locks within the power steering system and to allow me to top up the reservoir once the fluid I replaced had taken up the space of the air. Key in, crank and she fired into life instantly (the best she's ever done) however she died momentarily after. Crank again and she fired and this time stayed running for a while longer but again stalled.

Next steps I've taken is to ensure the fuel pump is running which it is, ensure the fuel is coming up to the fuel filter housing which is is, replacement of the fuel filter (I didn't even know it had one until now) but still the issue persists.

I've read up about the CSV but can't link it to what is happening with mine as mine is starting up and running but stalling. Sometimes it will stall straight after starting however sometimes it will stall maybe 10 seconds after starting. I haven't yet measured the flow rate of the pump (should it be 1l per 15 seconds?). Ive also read that it could be due to a blockage in the tank (so I need to remove the nut on the bottom of the tank to clean the filter? The injection pump was rebuilt by the previous owner.

To me it feels like the engine is combining fuel at a faster rate than the pump can deliver but I thought I'd ask before I moved onto the next step.

Any help?

Here is a video of what is happening - http://youtu.be/1WmQI5hd6r4

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Engine starting but stalling - 280SE
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 12:59:20 »
Is your 280SE a six cylinder or V-8 ?   Can you keep the engine running by giving it more accelerator pedal?,  Most likely a timing or linkage problem if it ran ok before cleaning your ignition points.  I would install a new set of points also. Sometimes grit from the emery will end up on the contacts during cleaning.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Twincam

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 13:38:31 »
Is your 280SE a six cylinder or V-8 ?   Can you keep the engine running by giving it more accelerator pedal?,  Most likely a timing or linkage problem if it ran ok before cleaning your ignition points.  I would install a new set of points also. Sometimes grit from the emery will end up on the contacts during cleaning.

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's the straight six 2.8... Regarding the engine... when it's running and goes to turn off, it's as if I've turned the key off as no matter how much throttle I give or anything I do, it just dies. It doesn't begin to misfire or even bog down, just the revs drop.

When I have her running for the short time she revs up freely and doesn't mis, I has to move her in the garage and under load didn't show any signs of timing etc being off, just cuts out like in the video.

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 14:10:22 »
By the way the engine cuts I would say it is ignition related rather than fuel related.

Twincam

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 18:31:31 »
Do you know what tests etc I could do? Or if there is anything that would give me the symptoms by any chance?

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 18:41:45 »
It looks to be one of these tricky issues to diagnose. Once I had a car dying after a while with no apparent good reason. It ended up being the points shorting once they were warm: metal dilatation had them contact the flange and they were shorting. I doubt it is your case as the engine does not run long enough for this to happen.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 19:14:30 »
By the way the engine cuts I would say it is ignition related rather than fuel related.
Lose wire perhaps?  But then it seems like starting would be intermittent.  If it always starts that way and always dies that way I doubt it is a wire problem.  I'm still suspicious of fuel supply.  Wondering about the inlet fuel filter on the fuel pump, and also about the fuel level in the gas tank.  If it's low, add a couple gallons and see if there is a difference.

A pump with too low volume could cause this. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Twincam

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 21:12:28 »
Thank you guys for the response. I did indeed ensure the fuel was above half so to rule out any issues such as that, it's baffling me as to what it could be.

I think the next step is to check the flow rate of the pump to see if it is delivering enough fuel to the filter housing at a constant rate.

She never fails to start even with this issue, just how long she runs before she cuts out is the only changing variable.

Twincam

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 21:14:33 »
Wondering about the inlet fuel filter on the fuel pump, and also about the fuel level in the gas tank. 

Scoot, how can I gain access to the fuel filter? Is that the one located within the tank? (access via the nut on the bottom of the tank?)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 00:20:14 »
The fuel filter in a canister just behind the power steering pump. It is attached to the left aluminum engine support. The drain screen in the fuel tank should be checked. Next check the fuel screen in the intake of the electric fuel pump.

If you think you may have a fuel tank problem, first remove the fuel sender in the trunk and look inside the fuel tank for debris.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 01:05:02 »
Scoot, how can I gain access to the fuel filter? Is that the one located within the tank? (access via the nut on the bottom of the tank?)
I think you said you replaced the main fuel filter - that's under the hood where Joe said it is.  There is a bolt going down from the top and a big aluminum canister will lower and fall spilling gasoline all over the place.   Probably not the problem.

The fuel filter that I was talking about is in the fuel pump itself, inside the fitting that the supply line from the gas tank is. 

Also look for kinks in hoses that can restrict fuel flow.  At this point I would measure the fuel output at the return line (or at the return to the tank, which can be messy.  Standard disclaimers regarding sparks and gasoline apply.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

wjsvb ✝︎

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 01:57:13 »
Coil?  Condenser?  Either could cause this.  My bet is the coil.  Jon
jon

67 250SL early
12 Jeep GC (gone but not missed)
69 300SEL 6.3 Euro project (gone but not forgotten)
81 280SL Euro 4spd