Author Topic: Care for original soft top  (Read 4762 times)

tempur

Care for original soft top
« on: September 25, 2015, 19:16:35 »
Dear Pagoda friends,
I believe the soft top on my 1966 230SL to be original to the vehicle.  Having barely been taken out by the previous (and first) owner, it is still in good shape although the material is getting stiff.  This is not causing any difficulties in raising or lowering/stowing the top but I have noticed how the loss of suppleness is causing the fabric to wear.  I already found one small hole that I believe to be the result of the material being less resistant to stretching.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make the fabric less stiff?  I used Raggtopp's sealant about two years ago to make the top waterproof but fear that this may have contributed to its current condition.
Tempur

Kayvan

Re: Care for original soft top
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 16:57:59 »
Dirt and moisture are the biggest enemies of your canvas top fabric.

Best bet is to keep it clean and well maintained.

Leave car in sun for 2-3hrs so top warms up; move to shade to spap up with mild soap and rinse twice.

Buy a horse-hair / boars hair brush; or a natural reed brush (Tampico palm bristles ) and give it a good scrub.

Let dry for 24hours (dont put top down damp)

You should see color of top brighten noticebly, and taughtness and wrinkles removed.

tempur

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 19:30:31 »
Kayvan,
Thanks for these suggestions.  Indeed, I did give the top a good scrub albeit with Raggtopp cleaner for convertible tops.  It certainly makes a difference in appearance with the color brighter.  The canvas, however, still feels like cardboard and I fear that folding and storing the top will permanently damage the material.  Then again, perhaps I'm overly worried but the top is 38 years old after all.

Kayvan

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 22:23:45 »
The Haartz (OEM mfg for most tops) canvas site recommend vacuuming top with brush attachment.

http://www.haartz.com/cleaning-guide/cloth-top-cleaning

I would recommend using a bucket of very hot water and a microfibre towel to damp-sponge the entire inside of the top (eg, from interior of car); the herringbone weave lining.

The water will surely be black and loosen the layer of hardened residue.

I am sure there is exhaust soot, cigarette smoke, mild mildew and just dirt from 38 years.

If both sides of canvas are clean this will reduce stiffness.

303 Protectant is the other choice for Top Cleaner / Water Repellency Treatment

http://www.amazon.com/303-30520-Convertible-Fabric-Cleaning/dp/B000A8JNF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443480286&sr=8-1&keywords=303+convertible+top+kit

http://www.autogeek.net/303fabcontop.html

Some feel it does more of a "deep cleaning" than RaggTopp

Also, 303 proprietary coloidal water-soluble products seem to restore flexibility to rubber/vinyl/tire/trim/interiors, so I am sure they will improve the feel/flexibility.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 23:03:18 by Kayvan »

tempur

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 18:41:11 »
Hi Kayvan,
I had thought about cleaning the inside of the top but wasn't sure how to go about it.  I'll use your treatment: no detergents then or cleaning agents?
Next step will be applying the 303 protectant.
Thanks for your advice.  Let's see how much life this top has still left!
RJ

Kayvan

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 20:50:51 »
I would use a very mild soap. Like a cap full of Woolite soap diluted in bucket.

I have had amazing results with just hot soapy water on all parts of the car...form top to rugs, to even leather (damp microfibre towel, wrung out often).

I sponge it on first with one soapy bucket, then wipe w/wet towel w/ clean hot water in another bucket; then vacuum water with shop-vac, and spot-dry excess with dry towel.

Each time, I had 2-3 buckets of black water on what looked like a clean surface.

The soot and tar from exhaust/cigar/cigarette smoke really turns everything stiff and brittle....near steaming hot water dissolves it.

See my tip on leather conditioner....Byrons Hyde Food.  My 8yr leather GAHH seat kit / dash / door cards went from shiny / stiff to supple, matte/satin and much richer cognac color like a new Bentley / Rolls!

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=22966.0
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 16:20:27 by Kayvan »