Author Topic: Upper Dash Pad Removal  (Read 2977 times)

JAubrey

Upper Dash Pad Removal
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:09:03 »
I just re-introduced myself in the new members section, after being away from the site for about 8 years. But the short version is I’ve got a new project, a very original 1970 280SL which I am in the process of dismantling and documenting…very slowly. I plan to take it apart and put it back together over the next 2 or 3 years. Along the way I will restore some of the parts myself, shop for some new bits, send some other things off to the professionals and I’ll definitely ship off the chassis for metal, body work and paint.

I’ve found many answers and insights in these forums but I can’t seem to figure out how to take off the upper dash pads. I’ve got the glove box, instruments, and A-pillar pads and dash wood out. Obviously the pad on the passenger side comes out first because I can see that it overlaps the pad that goes over the driver side instrument panel. I’ve taken out all of the screws I can see, two on top and two underneath but it doesn’t want to come out. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Paul

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
Re: Upper Dash Pad Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:25:25 »
Hi,

There are normally two screws, one on each side below the a-pillars hidden by leather.
Carefully loosen the leather glued inplace starting from the lower end, to reveal the hidden screews. I assume you have removed the screws above the radio opening and glovebox.

Hans
Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 13:48:51 »
First remove the chrome trim that looks like an 'S' shape held by 3 or 4 small chrome screws.  Then peel the leather/vinyl away from the painted metal and fold back and you will see a single big phillips screw that holds the aluminum base of the dash trim.
Use a hair dryer to warm up and soften the leather or vinyl to avoid cracking.
That should do it.
Walter

JAubrey

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 14:51:28 »
Thanks Walter and Hans. You guys are making this easy!