Author Topic: Group firewall pad installation experience  (Read 4841 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Group firewall pad installation experience
« on: May 31, 2014, 23:46:22 »
Last night I finished the firewall pad and am very happy with the outcome... Finally.  See the first photo.

For the last three days, I have been trying to figure out how to apply glue to the firewall for the Pagoda group firewall pad.  To me, it was not apparent how to mask for either brushed contact cement or spray-on adhesive.  Finally after not finding anything on the Pagoda site that explained a precise step-by-step procedure, I punted.  I used the brown waxed paper that I peeled off the felt pad backing when first received the kit and assembled the felt backing to the pad.  I don't discard anything until a job is completely finished.  I traced the patterns onto a large sheet of clean newsprint because tape won't stick to the waxed paper.

I glued the newsprint patterns in place on the firewall then proceeded to mask around the patterns and inside the holes.  See the second photo.  I then removed the newsprint pattern on the passenger side, leaving the masking tape to outline where the contact cement was to go.  I used a brush-on gel contact cement because I'm really messy with a rattle can.  I put two coats on the felt pad and two coats on the firewall, then peeled off the remaining masking tape.  Application of the pad was easy and quick and seemed to work really well.

Encouraged, I removed the Driver's side newsprint pattern, leaving the masking tape outline and did the same two coats of contact cement on the firewall and the felt pad, and removed the remaining masking tape like the other side.

By the time I finished installing the driver's side pad, I started to break into a cold sweat.  The third and fourth photos show why.  The passenger side, which had been installed almost a hour earlier had begun to do the same thing as is shown in the photos of the driver's side.  I was too upset to photograph the passenger side.  But I knew what to expect when the driver's side had been installed for about an hour so I waited and photographed it.

The felt was beautifully glued to the firewall but the tar-like pad had separated from the felt.

While waiting for the driver's side to separate as well, I further separated the passenger side firewall pad from its felt backing gently as much as possible and sneaked a brush between the two layers and applied contact cement to both the pad and the backing as well as I could.  After twenty minutes, I pressed it in place and it held.

I did the same thing to the driver's side, once it had almost completely separated from the felt backing, and before going to bed was able to see the final result shown in the first photo.  Today, it's still holding, so everything is OK.  But for a couple of hours yesterday, I was seriously considering cutting my losses, reducing my frustration and selling everything in the garage as a project.

If I had known what this experience would be, I would have glued the felt backing to the pad with contact cement, not depended on the self-stick glue to keep them together.  The contact cement works great.  Peel and stick didn't, even though I applied it upon receipt of the parts in accordance with the instructions.

Now I just have to clean the border of contact cement off the firewall from around the edges of the pad, where the thin pattern and the thick pad did not coincide after forming the pad over the curved dash.  But then again, neither did the pad and the felt backing once they had separated and re-glued.

Nothing is easy when working on this damned car.  Oh well, if I want to see a perfectly installed pad, I'll look at a photo of Flyair's.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Group firewall pad installation experience
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 00:07:51 »
Hello Tom,
I am sorry that you trouble with the self-adhesive glue. When this project was underway I posted instructions:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=15373.msg106142#msg106142
We had at most a handful of complaints about the felt not sticking to the 'tar paper' and I don't know exactly why it happened. In one case it was traced back to the contact cement that was used to glue the assembly to the metal. Apparently the evaporating solvent weakened the self-sticking adhesive.
But as you wrote the top layer can be glued back on with contact cement.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

jf308

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 19:25:46 »
Are the firewall pads and the interior floor pads still available?  Nov 2014.

I would like to support the Clubs efforts and purchase for my 64 230 SL Euro model.

Who to order from, price and availability?

Thanks.  John

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 00:31:27 »
No,
John.

Sold out (AFAIK).
You may want to contact Alfred via P/N.

But I think there is nothing left.
Was already a couple of years ago.

Sorry, :-\

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

jf308

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 19:40:44 »
Ordered diamond pattern firewall material from Babak at www.mercedesrestorationparts.com based on a couple recommendations from the forum.

(apparently the Group sets are sold out).

I would still be interested in the similar material for the floor as I removed the old, dry, cracked stuff.  Anyone know of available floor covering material (similar diamond pattern).

stratmanedh

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 01:28:52 »
My top layer( diamond pattern) is not sticking its rippled and easy to peel back off. Can anyone please recommend a specific adhesive to use that will hold it firmly & withstand the heat? Im disappointed with the result of it at this time
I purchased the pad from Dave Gallon via the firewall project
Thanks
Eric