Author Topic: Help with switch and relay connections  (Read 2877 times)

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
Help with switch and relay connections
« on: December 14, 2015, 15:23:11 »
I hope you chaps can help. I have a rear window defrost switch that would appear to be a momentary switch.
i.e. it does not stay in any one position.

I want to use this switch to turn on a amp that is part of a separate ipod connection. This is currently turned on using a toggle switch.
As I now have come across the defrost switch I would like to use this switch as it is more in keeping with the interior.

It has 4 pole connectors labelled as below.
31          A
15/54     E

I know that 31 connects to ground and 15/54 connects to 12v from ignition.
I gather I need to use a relay to get this to work, but I do not know how to connect everything.

The current toggle switch has 3 wires going to it: - Ground, 12v + and AUX.

Can anyone tell me the connections to make to the new switch and relay. So pressing the switch turns on the AMP. I am not
Sure pressing again would turn it off, or it would turn off when ignition is turned off
I hope that makes sense, and you can understand what I want to do.  In simple terms I want to use the rear window defrost switch to
Turn on an amp.  All ideas welcome.  Please help.
Many thanks. DM.

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
Re: Help with switch and relay connections
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 18:44:04 »
Well with a little more research, I have finally figured it out. Switch wired up to a latching  relay circuit.
Everything works perfectly. Press the button to switch on Amp, pull switch up to turn off.  More than
happy with the result. Everything looks stock and original.