Author Topic: Color Change Advice Requested  (Read 5694 times)

n/a

Color Change Advice Requested
« on: October 23, 2004, 21:49:25 »
Hello all!  I have a 1970 light blue automatic with dark blue interior.  I will be pulling my engine in a few weeks to restore engine bay (rust and someone painted it black!) It occured to me today that now would be the perfect time for a color change as I like the light blue, but not crazy about it. There is a very beautiful metallic green that I have seen on sl's that I love, silver is nice, and I like the dark blue with the light parchment interior.  I realize that maintaining the stock color is generally preferred, but what are your thoughts????  Thanks!

hauser

Re: Color Change Advice Requested
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 22:09:46 »
If the job is done right and everything is original looking I think you'll be fine.  

It sounds like your talking about DB906 blue metallic.  If this is correct, it is a very beautiful color and you don't see too many around.  Before you make up your mind do this search on the web.  "Blue Diamond 280sl"  This car was sold by claliforniaclassix some time ago.  If I were doing a color change on my car that's the color I would choose.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 22:15:15 »
James,

You will need to remove all of the interior dash work and paint the dash if you want it all to look right.

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 08:24:52 »
Hello James,

I did a complete color change (interior as well) when my 113 was restored; from 050 White to Signal Red.  I did this because at the time, I had no intent on showing the car thus was not concerned with 100% correctness, and I concluded that since so much was invested in the restoration, it d&^% well be something that I love.  Nothing to me says "WOW" like a shiny red convertible.  You've no doubt heard the terms "Resale Red" or "Arrest me Red", so you get the idea.  Some thoughts of mine for you:

1)  To do it correctly means interior removal as the dash must be done as well, as Tom as noted.

2)  To do it REALLY correctly, you must remove darn near everything as the original factory color is on, in and underneath everything.  My car was down to the shell, quite literally.

3)  "Correctness" is a relative term; you probably don't want to deviate from a legitimate color for the year your car was produced.  However if you have no plans to sell the car, and are creating something you want to enjoy, well the decision is entirely up to you.

4)  Ensure you have a color combination (interior/exterior) that works; one that was probably available.  There are quite a few sources the least of which is this forum that will help you determine which combination is legitimate.

5)  As I found out in my restoration, while there are/were many interior colors made, about the only one whose detail parts (such as door pulls, ash trays, etc.)are still available is black.  And yes, you guessed it, my interior went to black during the color change--not only that red/black is a subjectively nice and correct combination, but because some things I needed were only in black.  My car was a basket case prior to be hauled in (goodness knows it wasn't drivable) for restoration.

6)  You say you like the blue, but are not crazy about it.  You might have a change of heart with a new paint job in the same color.  It's astounding what a new and good paint job will look like.  You might end up loving it.

7)  Cost.  Joe's Autobody down the street is certainly capable of painting your car...but what kind of paint do they use?  If you want true MB paint, there's Glasurit and one other whose name escapes me.  The paint materials for Glasurit are astoundingly expensive.  To paint my car in 2001, (not including the hard top which sits unrestored in my basement...)required about $1,200 worth of paint, reducer and solvent alone.  That's just the materials cost!  I would guess that a metallic would have been even more.

Hope this helps!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 08:53:35 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mal

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 10:08:45 »
Hello James,
If the color is Db906 Light blue metallic, Its a reare color that shows very well, and changes its hues fron near silver to blue especially if you live in Sunny California. I did a color change to my car from white to this Blue, and the interior to dark blue, and I think the combination is brilliant.. then colo is very personal.

Malek Mrowa - Beirut, Lebanon.
280SL 71- Light Blue-/Blue
190SL 61 - Silver/Red

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 05:36:40 »
Michael refers to Glasurit, the other brand used is Herberts.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 07:41:47 »
Have to say that if I was going for a non-stock colour I'd go for one of the new MB colours

They're doing a very smokey beige colour at the moment and it looks good on all the cars I have seen it on. I think it would stunning on a pagoda

Stock I'd go for the tobacco or the bottle green

Then again, mine's blue and will stay that way.

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

n/a

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 13:47:17 »
The color of my car is the light blue (non mettalic) not sure what this paint number/color name is. My interior is navy blue, so I am imagining that silver would work as I believe that that was a stock interior/exterior combination. I understand that only black interiors are available but it seems to me that with SEM dyes and available vinyl through GAP, almost any stock interior color would be possible??

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 15:44:26 »
Hi James.

Your comment about black being the only available color caught my attention. Truth is that several colors are still available with respect to the interior (carpets, door skins, leather or MB-Tex).

As for your idea of Silver and Blue -- I have seen that combo and it looks great. A second option with the blue interior is a Mercedes white exterior (either 717 or 050). Not everyone is fond of this combo but since I have it and enjoy it immensely I thought I'd give it a plug! Good luck.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Douglas

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 17:19:59 »
I think the ashtray and window crank inserts are only available in black from Mercedes.

But like you said, you can certainly dye them any color you'd like.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

hauser

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 17:29:41 »
Isn't there usually material left over when redoing the interior?  You can easily insert the new leather or vinyl into these parts.

Douglas

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 19:57:32 »
You can't insert anything inside the window crank inserts. They're a heat-sealed padded unit. (The replacements are textured hard plastic.) The ashtray is another matter. Yes, you can open them up & insert a piece of Tex.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

hauser

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 20:13:50 »
My handles are covered in dark brown leather the same as the seats.  I don't know how they did it but they did.

Douglas

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 21:03:56 »
I guess they must have glued leather onto the pieces. I'd like to see a photo when you get a chance.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

hauser

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 21:07:09 »
I'll try to do that for you tomorrow.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 21:07:41 by hauser »