Author Topic: That Darn Hood  (Read 2326 times)

Kazoo

That Darn Hood
« on: April 15, 2016, 12:07:11 »
I've have the engine out and gone trough it , the suspension out and gone through it....but do you think I could get the hood back on???  Defeated....

Can anyone help please....

What I have done...

- I have confirmed that the fender mounted male brackets in on in the proper orientation
- I pretty sure that I have the hood female brackets on the right sides

But, the hood seems to interfere with the radiator (on the oil cooler side)

Its a '70 280sl

One question is do I have the radiator installed properly.....and was wondering if someone could look at their car and let me know.

On the drivers side of the radiator near the top where the bolt goes through the sheet metal and into the side of the radiator to hold it.... there are actually two mounting slots in the sheet metal. 

Mine is in the top slot, which keeps the radiator up as high as it could be.

If i took out the bolt and pushed the radiator down 3/4" to the next slot and put the bolt back in that would get the radiator down.

I dont know if there are any other threaded holes in the radiator further down that would line up with the lower bolt if it did move down as I can't see in there and don't remember.

Further down the side there is a mid way slot and a bottom slot.  There is no bolt in the mid way slot and there is a bolt in the bottom slot.

Could someone please peak and see if the drivers side of the radiator has the top bolt in which slot???

Getting a lot of looks test driving the car around with no a hood!  (actually its kinda of cool - to see the machine while driving!)

Thanks,

Wayne

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: That Darn Hood
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 17:27:41 »
I went out to look at my 280 SL hood fit. On the driver's side, the radiator is bolted in the top slot. Attached are two pictures, one from drivers side and one on the passenger side.
BTW - it is a tight fit.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: That Darn Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 20:14:26 »
I think you may have the females swapped over?

naj
68 280SL