Author Topic: Auto transmission setup  (Read 5873 times)

rwaw

Auto transmission setup
« on: April 17, 2003, 14:11:53 »
Undid shiftgate etc on inside of car and found all links to be tight+firm, however on putting it all together again the gear lever will now not reach to position "2" anymore.

Furthermore on the underside of the car it seems a cover held in place by about 10 bolts (17mm) hides the necessary links/bushings that need adjusting.
When I started to undo half of them the whole gearbox seemed to move downwards !
Any help appreciated.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Auto transmission setup
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 16:34:27 »
This plate does support the transmission, I think actually it supports the (rubber) transmission mount. I replaced this mount last year, and from my recollection, I placed a jack under the trans, so that when you remove the plate, the trans (and thus the whole engine/trans combination) stays in place. If you take off the plate (for which I think you also have to loosen and lower the exhaust) you may want to go ahead and replace the transmission mount, they're not that expensive and do wear out over time. It's not a difficult job, but does take some time.
I never looked at how the shifter linkage is routed so I can't help you there unfortunately.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 23:48:25 »
If you have a Haynes manual or the MB Service Manual you will find a fairly good description of how to adjust those link rods.
I thought the selector lever on the transmission and linkages were accessible from the LHS of the transmission in front of the rear support plate.

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 19:30:00 »
Hello rwaw,
The transmission will move downward when unfastening the rear mounting plate. The transmission must remain in place for proper adjustment of the linkage.  You can support the transmission with a bottle jack, jack stand, scissors jack, floor jack or whatever. The heavy aluminum adapter plate between the engine and transmission is strong enough to support the weight. Do not use the transmission pan unless a board is used to distribute the weight. Once the support plate is removed unhook one end of the linkage and change the length so that the transmission locks when the shifter is in "P". Before closing everything up, run the shifter through the full range. Check the park lock again. Bolt the support plate up so that the transmission is up in place and once more check the parking lock (turn the drive shaft by the differential or turn a rear wheel. If everything seems to work finish the assembly.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally