Author Topic: Newbie needs sagely member help evaluating 280SL  (Read 18287 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Newbie needs sagely member help evaluating 280SL
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 19:05:45 »
Rolf-Dieter

For those English speakers among us with very little German, the little Union Flag in the very top right of the SLS page is rather handy to put the whole site in Englsh! Not perfect but does a reasonable translation in most cases!!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 19:50:10 »
Thanks James! missed that one, so small it's easy to miss.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

MBdude

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 13:16:25 »
TODAY WAS A GREAT DAY!!!
If you go back to my original post you will read that my engine had been replaced at around 67k.
I determined this by confirming that the last numbers of the VIN and the engine block stamp did not match.
Since I have a receipt showing the engine was rebuilt around 67k I assume the engine was replaced.
Today I requested and received my missing data card from MB.
My jaw dropped to the floor when I read the engine serial number.
It matches my engine exactly.
I went from "Wrong engine" to "Matching Numbers" in an instant.
Needless to day this is starting out to be a really GREAT DAY!!

Regarding my leaky fuel pump:
I received a comment that it might stop if I get rid of the 10 year old gas.
Sure, great chance of that happening....
IT WORKED!!
New gas and the leak stopped within the hour.
Absolutely amazing and unbelievable...saved me some big bucks on a new pump.

Regarding my turn signal lever that won't cancel:
Took it all apart and the mechanism is on its last legs.
Ordered and installed a new expensive replacement.
There went the savings on the fuel pump.
I guess I better start getting used to this.
Will sell the old turn signal switch and lever to someone on eBay who needs it for other parts.

Now on to other concerns:
Speedometer needle jumping around.
Not sure if the cable needs lubed or a speedo problem.
Will try cable from the tranny side since that is the easiest.
Doesn't sound like fun removing the tach to get at the speedo

Engine stammers at about 4000rpm under full load.
Changed fuel filter but didn't help.
I guess I'll try the fuel tank screen next.

Thanks to forum members for all your advice and comments.
Having fun with this old girl so far.............

buspilot

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 13:25:58 »
Wow MBdude!  No kidding, what a great day for you.  I can't believe you ended up having the correct engine all along, although I'm not surprised about the leaking fuel pump fix.  I believe that cars need to be driven and ran at least once a week to keep things sealed up nicely. 

Hey, another Boise Pagoda guy was interested in meeting you too.  He has some aftermarket parts that he thought you might be interested in.  Look up a user on this forum called Billhon, that's him.  Seems like a real great guy to me.

Congratulations again on the good news about your new car!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 01:42:33 »
That is good news for you, had a similar experience with a four speed gearbox that turned out should have been a five speed according to the data card. Its a nice feeling getting a win like that.

To fully maintain your car fully, ( "Engine stammers at about 4000rpm under full load” ) you need to go through the Linkage Tour by JA which is available for our Full Members only.  Maybe the savings you have alerady made here can help defray the $30 Full Member cost :P :P

Garry
Membership Administrator
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 01:53:07 »
I'll second Garry's advice.

I had a similar issue: car ran well up to about 3500 rpm, but then would hesitate. Not badly, but annoying. I had this problem for the better part of 15 years. Over that time, I brought it to 3 'expert' mechanics and it never made much difference.

One day I worked up the courage to go through the linkage tour, fully expecting that I probably wouldn't be able to start the car afterward, because I had to make so many large adjustments. Turns out the engine ran BEAUTIFULLY after that; and has ever since. It taught me many lessons; including the value of full membership.

I'm not saying your issue will turn out to be identical, but it might.
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 05:42:29 »
There is a correlation between engine number and VIN on early 190SL's ( mid 1959 and older ) but not on our cars. It may be nice to have matching numbers but it adds no extra value to our cars at auction time. Perhaps in the future but not right now.  :(
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 13:35:51 »
Hi MBdude,

I've read tru your thread again this morning and this thread as so many others when individuals first find our site and this thread here as do many others exemplifies the true value of the $30- membership fee one pays to be part of this fine community. To me the membership fee is worth it's value in gold so to speak when one considers the solid value of information and help available to us all. Membership to our site is one of the best investments in my mind one can make.

I am glad for you that you found this site and the help you needed in your decision making process. Enjoy your car and your membership here.

Cheers,

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

NicholasP

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2016, 22:25:54 »
I agree with the Gentlemen that feel the worth and fairness for both parties would be north of $50,000.   With tools, books, records and known history, the value is higher.   If engine and transmission are good, no rust, it would be fair to pay $65 to 70,000 for this car, even without the original engine..........  Good Luck with the purchase, if not already done.      N

MikeL43

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2016, 19:03:41 »
I bought my 250 SL (29th from last produced) about 2 years ago from the estate of the original owner and have spent a lot of money buying parts from Buds Benz near Atlanta.  They have been very helpful and I haven't had any problems with their parts.  I also bought a stainless steel exhaust system from Time Valve (strange name but helpful people) which cost about a grand.  If you use them  note that you may have to have your installer take about 3 inches out of the intermediate pipe as I think their setup also fits other Mercedes models.  The exhaust install instructions can be found on this web site which I found very useful.  I would also emphasize someones recommendation about getting new tires.  The ones on my car had nearly new tread but were hard as a rock.  Driving on damp streets was similar to driving on snow.  Good luck with your project.