Author Topic: Constant 12 volts on switched buss from ignition switch with key OFF  (Read 4224 times)

Jimb1231

I just replaced the fuse block on the right front fender well that is right behind the voltage regulator.  One of those fuses provides protection to the A/C and Radio. Reason was the two compression contacts for the top torpedo fuse were excessively corroded and insecure causing the fuse to be loose and pop out, opening that circuit power to the radio and A/C.  The radio and Frigiking A/C are on the same fused circuit.  The fuse was not blown but when it came loose, interrupted power causing loss of A/C and radio.  After replacing the fuse block, the radio and A/C are now ON (circuit now is always hot, meaning both operate with the ignition key OFF).  Prior to this, neither were powered ON until inserting the key and turning switch to ON or start position.

My guess is that there is likely something in the circuit that now puts 12 VDC onto the fuse block all the time, even with the ignition OFF and key removed.  I'm wondering if there is another switched device (possibly a relay) that may have arc'ed or welded contacts causing constant 12 VDC on the fuse block OR, there is possibly a short in the internal switched contacts of the ignition switch assembly causing this.  Plan is to remove the glove box to locate the switched 12 VDC buss where the radio is tied to it and possibly locating the junction where the A/C unit power is connected to the switched 12 VDC buss.  I need to find a wiring schematic of the car to see what the power path from the key switch to the distribution of the car's 12 VDC keyed power is.  Wire color code would be helpful if it exists in the schematic.  I'm hoping it's not the ignition switch because it appears that may be a beast of a job to replace it.

Has anyone else experienced this type of symptom with the keyed 12 VDC distribution?  i.e., Constant 12 VDC is present on the keyed 12 VDC buss even with the key in OFF position?  Frigiking A/C was installed by dealer when car was bought new in 1970 but Frigiking system was removed and overhauled in 2015 with kit from Bud's.  I also need to reach out to the installer of the kit from Bud's.  Not sure if there was a relay included in the original Frigiking install or if the overhaul kit from Bud's included a power relay for its installation but I would guess a relay would be needed so as to prevent excessive current being pulled through the ignition switch keyed circuit for the A/C unit when the A/C was turned on.

I plan to contact Bud's to see if they can provide me a copy of the install procedure for their kit and if it included an accessory relay for this purpose.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
How many lines do you have feeding the small fuse box? If there is 2 is it possible you reversed them?
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Jimb1231

2 lines, 1 to each fuse.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
If you can grab a picture of the fusebox with cover removed and wires visible. Will help. When AC was installed at the dealer they sometimes tapped off the back of the alternator for a constant 12v feed to run the ac clutch through this fusebox and a relay either in the unit, under the dash, or near the firewall. So if you have 2 different wires feeding the fusebox (1 switched and 1 constant) and they are reversed, this will cause the problem.
It s possible the ign contacts have shorted. You can rule that out by removing the fuse and use a test light on the body harness side of the fuse block. Should not light with key off.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:09:47 by Tyler S. »
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
I think Tyler is right.  If the fuse is feeding terminal 30 on an AC relay, then you would expect it to be hot all the time, because it would be wired direct from the battery, starter lug, or alternator.  You would not want this going through the ignition switch.  The control circuit (usually 86 on the relay) should be switched.

And maybe somebody wired the radio fuse direct so they could listen with the ignition off.
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA